1ohm or 2 ohm?

Bronze Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 42
if i am powering 2 alpine type R subs 500watts rms, would it be better to get a hifonics bx1000d and run it 1000watts at 1ohm or would it be better the get the bx1500d and run it 1000watts at 2ohm or would it not make that much of a difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 89
1ohm loads generally have less control (damping) over the subs than do 2ohms. if you are concerned w/spl only, it doesnt matter. but for sq, 2ohm and greater (generally).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
whats spl and sq? in new to this stuff if you cant tell thanks.

Username: Triangle

Bundaberg, Queensland Australia

Post Number: 10
spl - sound pressure level
sq - sound quality

BAM! I helped!!! and I've only been reading about subs and amps for the last 3 days!!!

I believe they go doof!

Silver Member
Username: Kklagge

Post Number: 157
I'm running my (2) tpye R's @ 1ohm w/450rms apiece and they are very clean sounding...so I'm not sure you're going to convince me of the 2ohm & greater theory for SQ

Bronze Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 95
in "real life" listening (now i realize that's what we are referring to) you won't notice an audible difference. audiofiles and those who compete sq will stray away from 1ohm loads. most amps rate their THD (distortion level) at loads greater than 1ohm. so the lower you get, the greater the distortion and the lesser the dampening factor.
again, in real life, DF would have to drop down to say 30 or so (you're currently at 300-100) to effect a significant/audible difference, and at such low frequencies the THD will not be apparent either.

what you should certainly be mindful of though is that 1ohm loads cause a greater strain on your amp. some run hotter. some don't show physical fatigue at all. my old audiobahn 8001dt (of all amps) did 800wx1 @1ohm and never ran hot. the fact that both your options are class D helps a great deal (much more efficient).

so, it is easier and more efficient to run and produce power at a two ohm load than at 1ohm. if i had an option, i would choose 2ohms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
if i ran the type Rs at 550watts rms even though they are rated at 500watts rms would it hurt them or would it be alright?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 108
rms+50%, adjust gains accordingly (my mantra?) affords you additional headroom. you'll be fine. the additional 50w will only help the situation.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
alright thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us