Protection Light on Amp

Username: Jedi_mind_trick

Post Number: 1
I have a sony xplod 480w XM-280GTX amp hooked up to 2 xplod 10s.the tsunami kit i got was installed professionally at myer emeco, so i know its not my wires. Everytime I turn on the car, the amp stays in protection mode. I looked at the instruction manual all it says is speaker outputs are short circuited. i re-wired the speaker cable, and it still goes into protection mode. how do you repair a short circuit? any ideas would be grand.

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 216
At what ohms are the two subs wired at?

Post Number: 2
im new at this so im gonna assume 4 ohms. the subs are hooked up to the amp positve to positive negative to negative. nothing special

Silver Member

Post Number: 220
First try this, unhook all the sub wires from the amps and see does the light go off.
Subs come in all ohms and single or dual voice coils. Single voice coils have one + and one - on the sub. Dual voice coils have two + and two - ,one on each side of the sub. Did you have each sub on each channel or both subs bridged? You amp, so they say put out
400W max power
80 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
100 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
200 watts x 1 RMS bridged

Bronze Member
Username: Alastaka

Post Number: 59
its sony what can you say

Post Number: 3
I had each sub on each channel. (2 channels per sub). Yea i unhooked them. It still stays on. I even unhooked the power ground and remote afterwards and rehooked it up and still the same thing. how else can you replace a short circuit?

Username: Kunit

Post Number: 7
I have a 450 watt Jensen and its a 2 voice coil. I didnt think about nething when i say the 2 positive and 2 negative connections on the speaker. Do you hook both negative and postive and run the 2 wire together and run it to 1 channel? Right now i only have one postive and one negative hooked on the sub. Could you explain how the 2 negative and 2 positive connections work on the sub. I think i have it hooked wrong now..

Silver Member

Post Number: 230
Sound like you have just one of the two voice coils hooked up on the sub. What are the ohms for your sub 2 or 4. Also you are talking about dual voice coils right. You can wire the sub in different way to get different ohms.

Username: Kunit

Post Number: 10
so when both voice coils are hooked up...how many ohms is it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
You have to know the ohms for the sub to know how to wire the sub the right way. It should tell you on the back of the sub. Dual 4ohms you can hook each coil to each channel of the amp. You can also wire both coils together in different ways to get different ohms. One 4ohm dual voice coil can be wired tighter to get 2 or 8 ohms. Two of the same can be hooked up at 1 or 4 ohms. One 2ohm dual voice coil can be hooked up at 1 or 4 ohms.

Username: Sctrjns22

Post Number: 1
yeah my sony did that and i dont know what to do with it lol, ive only had it for about a half hour, i guess my kicker cvr 15"s are too much for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us