Crunch Drive Series

TUTPart1
Unregistered guest
Are these amps any good. It was given to me. Its an 800 watt amp. I was wondering if it would sound decent if I bridged it.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3126
dude who cares it was free! try it out and see how it sounds.

TUTPart1
Unregistered guest
Since Im not sure if the amp is stable at 1 ohm, If I wire my subs to 1 ohm and hook them up to the amp what will my amp do? Will it blow the amp or send it into protection?

Bronze Member
Username: Alias747

Post Number: 92
So its a 2-channel amp and you want to bridge it and hook a 1-ohm load to the bridged channel? DON'T DO IT!

Numero uno: I am almost certain that amp is not 1-ohm stable.

Numero dos: When you bridge an amp, the amp reads half of the ohms. So the amp is gonna look at that 1-ohm load as .5 ohms. You'll surely cook your amp like that. Hmmm... the name "Cunch" would be totally appropriate!

TUTPart1
Unregistered guest
Thanks,Isaac. Ill be sure not to do that. Do you think I could still bridge if my subs are wired at 4 ohms. My subs are 4 ohm dvc so what are my options

Username: Johnnyboy73

Houston, Tx U.s.

Post Number: 4
you should be able to hook up your 4 ohm dvc sub just run it all in parallel and run it stright to the amp, but dont bridge it at the amp, or you'll fry it

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
TUT, you have 2 options, wire each sub parallel so you have (2) 2-ohm loads and wire each one to its own channel. Or a better way would be to wire each sub in series so you have (2) 8-ohm loads, then bridge your amp and connect both pos. to pos. on amp and connect both neg. to neg. on amp. You get it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#1dvcs

Refer here.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3684
TUT, i had a crunch for my components hooked up a 2 ohm sub to it to see if the amp turned on, and by time i got into my trunk to look it was on fire, and i dontmean like it sparked

TUTPart1
Unregistered guest
Isaac, I thought since my subs are 4 ohm dvc I can ony wire them to 4 or 1 ohms. For some reason I cant get the jl website to load, but I did find this http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+4+ohms+x+2&image.x=23&image.y=3. So how exactly would I wire them to get 2 or 8 ohms?

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
Yeah, your right if you are wiring yours subs together initially. I am saying to wire each sub seperately. Go to your site and put 1 subwoofer and DVC 4-ohm. It will show you how to wire your sub in series for a 8-ohm load(option 2). Or option #1 is to wire your sub in parallel for a 2-ohm load.

I recommend to wire each sub according to Option 2. Then bridge your amp so you have just 1 pos. and one neg. Then connect the (2) positives you have to the pos. on the amp, and connect the (2) negatives you have to the neg. on amp.

Doing that, you are wiring (2) single 8-ohm loads in series making a final 4-ohm load. Perfect for your bridged amp.

Let me know if you understand.

TUTPart1
Unregistered guest
Thanks again Isaac, I hooked them up like you said and there pounding pretty good. But now I need to replace my factory 6x 8's in the doors and cab. Anyone have any suggestions on something that is a decent brand but still at about $150for the pair?

TUTPart1
Unregistered guest
Well I just ordered some Infinity Reference 6x8's, for my truck. Has anyone ever used these before? I know Infinity makes good speakers, so I went ahead and got them, even though I've never heard the References.

TUTPart1
Unregistered guest
Nobody has heard them?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us