Subs just not moving

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 55
Allright, i was at our homecoming dance awhile and i finally got my friend to let me borrow his old RF sub that he thought was blown. I thought differently though. Basically, what happens with the sub is that nothing happens...
it doesnt make any weird noises, do anything like that
it just plain doesnt move
is the sub blown? or is there something else i should be checking for?
at first i thought maybe his high excursion (he had them on loud) pulled out a wire lead or somethin, but those all looked pretty solid
anyone got any ideas??

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2618
Can you move it easily by pushing on the cone? You'd know if it was blown just by pushing on the cone, and possibly if you can get the sub just right so you can see the voice coils. There's really only two things that could be causing this.

1. - It probably is blown
2. - He broke off a tinsel lead

Silver Member
Username: Daddy_phat_sack

Post Number: 115
yea i was thinkin no. two also...

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 56
If he had broken off a tinsel lead, how do i test that? and better yet, how do i fix it?
is the tinsel lead the two wires that go from the + and - tabs to the actual cone?

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 359
yes, and u can have them resoldered but once they tear and even if u have them resoldered they are pretty much done. i use to tear them on my mtx thuder 8000s all the time.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 602
I had an old 15" Kicker Comp sub that died like that. It's something with the voice coil cause the leads on mine were fine.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2621
You gotta hook up a continuity tester up to the positive and negative terminals on the sub. If there's a circuit then the sub should work. If the circuit is dead, somethings wrong.

Bronze Member
Username: Traymannspl

Trenton, Mo USA

Post Number: 13
see if you didnt blow you rcas out of you amp or your headunit or may be you blown a channel in your amp or blown fuse in either your power wire or you amp or wires arent hooked up right or a broken lead to your coil i had one when i was a kid that i won from a bet and before forking it over the night before he finally gave it to me he cut one of the leads so i ahd to fix it all i did was hot glued iot back together but if youre going to push it wit a amp soder it soders metal so it will conduct electricty just like it would if tit wasnt broken good luck
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us