Amp kicks out when car is running and when volume is turned up

Username: Kunit

Post Number: 1
I have a 340 watt Jensen amp powering a 400 watt pyramid power 8 inch sub and a 400 watt 10 inch Jensen sub. When the key is turned back to listen to the radio..the amp pumps like crazy with the level on 3 or 2 and the bass setting turned wide crack. As soon as you turn the car on...it kicks out and wont kick back on and stay on unless the level is on 6. And on 6 the subs dont pound. When you put the level on 3, with the car running...the amp will kick in for a split second but when a thump of bass comes it kicks back off. I have 10 gauge wire to the battery and 14 gauge for a ground. I also have the 2 subs tied into one and the amp bridged. If anyone could help me out on this that would be great! Ask all the questions you want about how i have it hooked and i'll try to answer them! Thanks!

Post Number: 2
ok..i just found a post with someone having the same trouble...I ahve the remote wire hooked with heavy speaker wire. I ahve the 2 wire twisted togther and running from the head unit to the amp in the trunk. If i bridge the power wire to the remote input and it works..then its the remote wire...and that means the head unit isnt putting out enough juice...?

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 15
How big is your fuse on you power wire, and what do you have your remote wire hooked up to? power ant???

Post Number: 3
I have no fuse in the power wire...What kind of fuse do u put and where do u buy them? I have the remote wire hooked to the head unit blue wire that says remote wire for amplifier.

Bronze Member
Username: Msully701

Stratford, Connecticut US

Post Number: 97
wow man thats the problem right there you need a fuse, your ganna need atleast a 80amp fuse, I use a 150 amp fuse in mine but im pushing 5x as much watts, http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Inline%20Fuse%20Holders your going to want to buy the In-Line Waterproof AGU Fuse Holder and go here http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?Category=Fuses and get a gold plated AGU 80 amp fuse. its simple you run aprox 6 inches of power wire from battery then connect 1 end of the fuse holder then connect the rest of of the wire running to your amp into the other end, making you power wire fused with 80 amps and you should be all set it will cost you like 15 bucks total

Post Number: 4
Ok great...I looked at walmart tonight but all i could find was a 30 amp fuse for an airconditioner..However..I did manage this after noon to fix the cutting out part. I had the 2 subs wired into one positive and one negative. So today I ran separate wires to each sub and instead of bridging to the amp. I used all 4 channels. It fixed it. But i still need to get a fuse to save my car though. Might wake up and my car will be burnt up. Thanks for the info however! It's very useful to me. Another question I have is the wiring to my dash lights. The dash lights and the blinker lights..and the tail light are always on when my car is on. Not when the light switch is on. There are 2 wires coming from the harness out the car to run these lights and they went into the stock deck. When I hooked up my JVC I couldnt figure where these wires went because there was no spot for them. I bought a wiring harness by scosche for quick hook up but i found that created more trouble so i took it out and hooked the cd player direct. So what I did was hook the wire for the dash lights to the key switch wire but i have no clue where to hook it so the dash lights will come on with the light switch....Theres only 3 wires for the stereo for power..live, switched and ground..If you have ne suggestions please let me know! Thanks!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
you should just order it from knukoncepts they usually deliver in 3 days, but anywho go to radio shack for the fuse you need they have 80 amp fuses

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1309
You don't need an 80 amp fuse for just that Jensen.

Just use whatever size is on your amp. My guess is that its less than 30. To get you set for any future upgrades it probably would be a good idea to get a good fuse holder:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-701

and

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-1126

(not necessarily a 60 amper),

but if you're short on cash and your jensen has a 30 amp fuse or less this would work just fine:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=270-1234

and

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F011%5F004%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=270%2D1085

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
he doesnt NEED that much amps but why the hell not? its dirt cheap your talking a difference of cents and the fuse will prolly never blow

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1311
Dude don't get so defensive. I just presented him with options. I too think he should go the more expensive route, but its up to him.

He's freaking running 10 gauge power wire with a 14 gauge ground for pete's sake. 10 gauge wire is only good for 55 amps open air:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/wiring/wire_resistance.html

The fuse at the battery is there to protect the power wiring. With an 80 amp fuse he runs the risk of experiencing a messy and possibly dangerous 10 gauge meltdown if something gets shorted out.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1312
Of course ANY type of fusing would be better than what he has now.

Bronze Member
Username: Johnnyboy73

Houston, Tx U.s.

Post Number: 20
back to yuor dash lights question, the orange wires are illumination wires, they are hooked up directil you your lights on you dash and stuff. you said that you hooked them up to your switch wire? dont, that will keep them on all the time. just disconnect them and cap them off, you dont have to have them hooked up. the purpose for them is to adjust the lighting on your head unit when you turn your head lights one, but like i said, just disconnect them from your switch wire and cap everything off and you should be fine

Bronze Member
Username: Johnnyboy73

Houston, Tx U.s.

Post Number: 21
the wires might not be orange, they are in some wire harnesses, but not always, but just disconnect them

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2630
Like fishy said matthew, an 80 amp fuse is almost useless on a 10 gauge wire. Your gonna start melting the coating on the wire before that fuse blows.

Post Number: 6
But if I leave them unhooked...the dash lights dont come on at all..so i cant see my gauges when driving at night..Thats why i hooked them to the switch because it was rather on all the time or none at all..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us