i have 1 12" sub that i need box for,
im doing a ported

here are the specs for the sub box the manual says to use,

cubic feet 2.0
venter to HZ 37
port diameter 3"
port length 12"
number of ports 2

1.need some suggestions, the cubic feet, is that 2cf using the inside dimensions, or outside dimensions?

2. vented to 37HZ? read stuff about tuning sub or box, whats that all about?

3.does it matter where the ports are placed on the box?

4. 12x12x24 is the size im planning on using, is that good? and which side should the sub go on, the 24" or the end with the 12"?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 2011
what subwoofer is this box for?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2012
and what type of sound do you want sq or sq spl?

Bronze Member
Username: Lukasz70

Post Number: 22
its a visonik v126s4 600w 300rms, 4ohm, single voice coil.

those specks above are whats in the manual the sub came with.
just need to determine a size that =2cuft (3456 cu inchs)

sound? sq or sq spl? whats that? lol, just thought you pick sealed or ported, (i want ported) and thats it, i guess its just for bass

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
anyone?
need to build this box, have had teh amp and sub for a few weeks now
here are the inside dimensions i want to use 13.5h X 12d X 21W=2cubic feet.
ported.

no idea what sq is spl is sound pressure level? dont know what thats for, but im just going for some bass with my sub.

manual with subs says to have 2cuft for vented for best performance already including the subs displacement.

also says its vented for 37hz?

here is the sub specs off the site

V126S4
12" High Performance Subwoofer
300W Rms
600W Max
48oz Double Stacked Magnet
Sensitivity: 87.8 dB @ 1w/1m
Mounting Depth: 5.125"
Vented Box: 2.0 Cu. Ft.
Round Port Diameter: (2) 3"
Square Port Area: 14 Sq/In
Port Length: 12."
Sealed Box: 1.0 - 1.5 Cu. Ft.

Anonymous

I have never Fu*ked around with Visonik i bet they suck~

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
actually they sound pretty good, ppl on this board have even said they are great for the price and they hit hard.

but what does that have to do with box measurements? i wanna get this things setup already:-(

illusionstudios
Unregistered guest
sq- sound quality / spl sound preasure level or loud
for vented design just a bit small for sealed enough
vented is usially louder - sealed is smoother sound

Username: Maximustexas

Austin, TX US

Post Number: 5
Try this link.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

You can use it to get the dimensions correct as well as the port length
And yup - your dimensions look pretty good for 2Cu FT.
I get 1.97 w/out the woofer.
You will need to subtract this amount as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2029
to make it easy on yourself do the recommended box size and your measurements do come out to 2.00 cf if you make sure thats your room inside the box.....add 1.5 inches to all those measurements if your going to use .75 mdf ....the 1.5 added will give you your outside demensions

Gold Member

Post Number: 2030
sorry didnt see you had a new box size ....yes it comes out to 1.96 cf if thats internal measurements if not its 1.49 cf internal with those measurements being external....if you want to port it to 37 hz assuming your depth is 10.5 internal and you using .75 mdf youll want a slot port 5.75 high x 2.00 inches wide

Gold Member

Post Number: 2031
youll also have to account for the room your subwoofer takes up if you dont youll be at a 39 hz port tune instead of 37 hz

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
cool, thx for the info everyone, i'll use that link, yeah those dimension are for inside, so i'll have to add a bit for the outside dimensions. dont know if ill use MDF,

might use those big huge ad boards you always see when coming off the highway for new houses, they are pretty strong and rigid. if not then mdf it is

and according to the manual, 2cuft
"the volume parameters are calculated to include the displacement by the sub magnet and basket" so i guess just 2cuft dont have to add for the volume of the sub.

ports: manual says 2 3" 12"long each. but this site will let me play with the sizes.

thx

Anonymous

They are still going to sound like Sh*t. I will sell you my Sony 12s they hit Hard like a mUTha

Bronze Member
Username: Hurleyblink

Post Number: 21
lol and sony doesnt sound like sh*t/??? when i had 1 audiobahn aw120t it sounded better then this guys 2 sony 12's yeah buddy....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
...so i guess i dont have to adjust for the subs since its 2cuft with subs included according to the quote above (from the manual) so it should still be tuned to 37hz?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
haha, sony sound worse then visonk, ive heard them play in stores on the wall displays, they sounded the worse, as for mine, i've had lots of ppl say they pound hard.

after i build the box, im actually gonna buy an infinity or pioneer 12" to see if they sound alot better, if they dont they'll be returned.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2061
yes if they say included you build it and go peace bro

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
K box is done! wow, thats a heavy sucker!! without the sub!,

only 1 thing left, the ports!,
k, manual says 2 ports, 3"each 12" length, only thing is from the top of the box 12" would only leave maybe 2inch from bottom of port to bottom of box unless i put the ports on the sides (21" sides) but i want them on the top

does their location matter?

a1so the site you guys gave me says for port to use 6"x24" which is the same as the manuals 2 3x12 ports, so does that mean i can do 3 2x8 ports?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2157
personally id do a slot port 8.5 high by 2.0 wide and use your box as your port depth your port depth is solved and the cost of the port is free...i took your port tune down to about 36 hz 37 seems a bit high to me plus it actually came out more like a true 38 hz when i did the specs from what they were tellin you to do....ports on the front is what id do if they have room to breathe

Gold Member

Post Number: 2158
ok ive reread this post and im confused i was assuming 1.90 to 1.85 after displacements for the sub but 13.5h 15.5d 21w external that comes out to 1.895 cubic ft. internal without displacement for the sub if the sub takes up .10 bringing it down to 1.79 cf. youll be at 36.5 hz port tune with what i recommended....if the sub takes up .15 then you be down to 1.74 cf at a 37 hz port tune...total box depth being 14 plus .75 for the mdf wood equals a 14.75 inch port depth the port being 8.5h by 2.0w (i was assuming you were using .75 mdf board)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
lol, now im confused lol, k i changed the dimensions of the box again, they are 13.75x12x21=2cuft on the inside,

manual said 2cu with displacement counted. so on the inside its 13.75tall and 12deep, so i cant use 12" length they say to use. unless on teh 21" side

and to slot a port, might be to late now:-( and too much work now its all glued and screwed together. so buying the ports is the easiest thing for me now:-( lol i should of thought of it earlier

so im thinking 3 ports 2"wide and 8"long that should be the same as what they say with 2ports 3"wide and 12" long and i would place them on top of the box more in the back.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
well went out to buy ports today, cant find anything i need, the longest are like 5" so im gonna be making them out of pvc tubing, read its a pretty common material to use for ports.

so 3 ports 2"dia 8"length?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
crap, sorry so confused!
found this port calculator http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

it says for 3ports 2" to do 7.81" length, but for
2ports 2.5"dia to do 7.83"
its practically the same thing isnt it? is this calculator right?
should i just do 2.5"? thats only 5" total rather then 6" (2x3" in manual)

so which should i do
manual says, 2x 3"x12"
1. 3x 2"x7.81"
2. 2x 2.5"x7.83

Gold Member

Post Number: 2180
ok if your 13.5 by 12 by 21 is internal yes its 2.00....if your set on 2 inch pvc then do 3 2 inch pvc ports 8.75 inches long and your ready to go

Gold Member

Post Number: 2181
theres no way your taking up .50 cf with that sub and port though i accounted .20 for the ports and sub but not sure if im right

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
cool thx, you've been a great help,

i will be going with the pvc, with the experience i have, its the easiest thing to do for me.

one last thing, how do you calculate your numbers? with the formulas or program...?? ive used a few online calculators and i get different #'s, although they all give me the same numbers when i input 3" port 11.7-12"(as in the manual)

using box-port design II program, i get for 2" port a 4.95 length, for the link above, i get 7.81" even though i'll be using your length what gives?

one last thing, whats the best place to put them? i want them on top spread apart equally more towards the back of the box, but will the centre one be too close to the sub? or should i just put 2 on one side and 1 on the other?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
shi* sorry to keep buggin you sean, but you just know so much more then me about this lol,

its the ports again, 3 ports means i would have one closer to the sub then the others, read some stuff that said it would not sound that best with 1 port closer then the other 2, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=e17e74beaeffeb2b659aba52169195da &threadid=46047&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=1

so what if i do the sugested ports? 2x3"x12"@37hz? its actually 11.7" but i would do 11" i think its 38hz with 11"

so box inside is 13.75"+.5" for top,=14.75
so 14.75"-11"=3.75

would 3.75" be enough clearence for the ports inside? from bottom of box to port inside

Gold Member

Post Number: 2225
ok lucas i was thinking i could be wrong on the subs displacement check it again for me in your papers whatever it says well do and if im wrong which i think i am that means the port would have to be even longer than anticipated to have a proper tuned port...i dont wanna move forward until you find that for me

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
k sub specs off their site are
300W Rms
600W Max
48oz Double Stacked Magnet
Sensitivity: 87.8 dB @ 1w/1m
Mounting Depth: 5.125"
Vented Box: 2.0 Cu. Ft.
Round Port Diameter: (2) 3"
Square Port Area: 14 Sq/In
Port Length: 12."

parameters
Fo(hz) 34.95
QMS 7.13
QES .56
QTS .52
VAS (liters) 52.73
REVC (ohms) 3.2
SPL@1w/1m 87.86
X-max linear peak-peak (mm) 37
LEVC@1k hz (mH) 3.01

thats all the info in teh manual for this sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 2227
i believe you were saying it had .50 displacement for the port and sub before .....in other words you were to build a 2 cf box is what you were sayin they said am i right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2228
if so this thing must have a huge magnet

Gold Member

Post Number: 2229
also what amp are you running to this what size is the fuse on it? I wanna calculate true power to help us with limiting the port amounts

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
lol, i didn't say anything about the displacement it takes up, i have no idea, all i said is that the manual accounted for the displacement in the 2cuft. as for the size of the sub, its not that big here is a link to how it looks, http://www.visonikcaraudio.com/sub/products_archive2004/images/products/catalog/ subs_D4_S4.jpg

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
oh im using a song xplod 2ch 600w 25amp fuse. obviosly have it bridged for the 12.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
so any clues?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
k, ive been doing some calculation based on these formulas http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=21 , hopefully they are right, but here goes
for min vent diameter i got min of3.26 fox box (im assuming that was for 1 vent in the box so i guess its 1.63 for 2 vents)

for length i put the formula into excel, it actually ends up being this calculator. http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

so came up with a few configurations, which sounds the best to use?

1. manual says 2ports 3" 11.7long id do 11.5. (BUT ONLY 2.75 clearence from bottom of port to box bottom is that good enough or no?

2. 2 2.5"x7.83"

3. 4 1.5"x5.86"

4. 3 2"x7.8" would have to have all 3 on one side rather then spread out along back, read that its not good having one port closer to sub, if all 3 on one side, it would be like a slot kinda.

all based on the above formulas/calculator

i would like #1 but is 2.75 clearence ok? otherwise i have to go with #2, #3 not a fan of having 4 small ports. i like

want to use #4 if not #1 but is having all 3 next to each other on top good idea? would work like a slot i guess, i make them in a row, or L shape. in corner.

anyone know?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2733
Hey Lukasz, if you don't feel like building a ported box for that sub, I have a single 12" slot ported box lying around. It's 2.25 cf tuned to 35 hz. Should work fine with your sub, after speaker displacement it won't be super far off from the 2 cf you wanted.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
my box is already built, just need to know which of the 4 option of ports to cut. thx though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us