Type of Boxes

Username: Cjennings

Post Number: 3
I know Sealed Boxes are for sound quality, and Ported Boxes are for Power. But what i dont know is how to relate this info to types of subs.

Im buying 2 Kicker L5's Pushing 600Watts each, and i was wondering if i should stick them in a sealed box or a ported box. Currently im debateing between these two boxes
-Ported-
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3307.html
-Sealed-
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_498.html

Any piece of help is much appreciated
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Car_bangs

Post Number: 117
ported i have my L7 ported more spl in a ported box

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2400
Ported boxes are not simply for getting loud, and I don't know what you meen by "power", but since ported boxes are more effecient, they usually require less power, while the sub would also be able to handel more power around the port tune than a sealed box. Many people agree that ported boxes sound better, and one can have better sound quality than a sealed box, if it's built right.

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 88
There are specs that help identify how a speaker will behave. One of them is the speakers Qts.

The Qts has been used to determine what type of box will fit the speakers behaviour best.

For example;

A driver with a Qts of about 35 has been said to perform best in a sealed enclosure. For drivers with Qts higher than 40, it has been determined that they would perform best in a vented box.

Now, this does not mean that you may not use your driver in the reverse application. At the same time, a driver with a Qts above 40 doesn't mean that it should be used in a vented box. You may use a driver with a Qts above 40 in a sealed box, however it will not perform at its optimum level. Its your choice. The same goes with a driver with a Qts below 35. You may use it in a vented box, but it will not perform at its optimum level.

Another little secret is that drivers with high Qts usually have a sloppy transient response. This means that it will not be as accurate (clean). Thats why most people admit that speakers sound better in sealed boxes, because they have a tighter transient response.

For the BASS HEADS out there;

Ported boxes will pound, but the SQ diminishes. Its your call. Accuracy or loudness????????
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us