Hz cutoff...

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 191
Ok, my 2 12" Alpine Type-R's in a prefab ported box tuned to 39hz don't play some songs deepest bass (if you've heard "Throw It Up" - lil jon...lol, only way to explain). Most songs it sounds ok, but it deffinately doesnt have a flat respons. Also, I tightly packed some towels in the port, and I noticed no difference, if that means anything.

Im going to get a new custom box tuned to 28hz in a few months, but until then, what can I do to possibly fix or make the problem better?

Also, with the new box, will the problem be fixed?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 192
bump

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1975
thats part of your problem bud ported to 39 hz is too high....what size box is it in?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1976
if it was me id put each 12 in a 2 cubic foot box per 12 and port them to 28 hz just drop them in and make a slot port 7 inches high by 2 inches wide 28 wide 12.5 high 19.75 deep internal (29.5 wide x 14 high x 21.25 deep using .75 mdf) the internal box depth is your port depth

Gold Member

Post Number: 1977
that will be an sq box (sound quality)

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 193
so if I did that id hear the lowest bass lines as loud as the ones a bit higher?

Also, this may sound stupid, but what does the average joe you hear goin down the street with a system use? Sealed/ported?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1978
yes the frequencies will sound even and most systems probably hit in the 30 to 50 hz range and ported is prob the most widely used

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 194
ok thx. So payin $200 for a custom made quality box would deffinately be a good investment right?

I asked detroit bass how much it would cost and they said like $100 + $25 for carpet + shipping or somthin like that.

I know your ganna say build my own, but it really seams too hard with all the calculations and stuff, unless somone could basically walk me through it besides the actual putting it together.

One more thing, would you suggest I go get some wood and seal up the port in the box I already have? Would that make it have a more flat response or no?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1980
well your prob not going to be as loud in the box i worked up for you but you will be more balanced frequency wise which is what you wanted to fix. As far as building it i gave you the demensions all you would have to do is cut it to specs you could buy one 4 x 8 foot mdf sheet and do the whole box just map it out on paper if you need to. Then mark your wood from your layout. It would cost you 30 for the wood plus materials as long as you have the tools and know how to use them youll be fine. Make sure you take measurements of your car before building the box to make sure it will fit. Take into account floor level and trunk hinges etc....what is your boxes extrnal measurements that your using now?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 196
Cut to specs? What does that mean? I have them for my subs, but I don't understand what stuff like Qts. and those other abreviations stand for.

its 1.56ft^3 per chamber (what site I ordered it from said, but the box outer box demensions were different). They are, 34 1/2" wide, 15" deep and 13 1/2" high.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 198
also, I want to make the inside loudness to outside loudness ratio down, if that makes sence. Jeep Grand Cherokee's make it sound much louder inside, than a Camaro right (im getting one next year hopefully)? For me to get as loud outside as a Camaro, I'd be putting my ears through some pain, because they hurt enough as loud as I play it now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1982
i already did the qts and stuff like that i got the specs for the alpine type e 12s from alpine and it has the type x and type s and type r specs on it too. I came up with 3.09 cf without the chamber total so its prob 3.00 cf total 1.5 cf per. I just ran the box your using now and your going to loose as much as 5 db in the 46 to 50 hz range changing to my other suggested box but you hit lower and the sound will be even. I meant cut your wood from the specs you have mapped out on paper.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 199
as long as it sounds good, spl is starting to come in second with me now. It would still be hitting in the 130db's though right?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1983
i would say the cherokee would be louder than the camaro from my experience yes

Gold Member

Post Number: 1984
what kind of power are you running to them and have you had it metered before for spl?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 201
its just that my cussin has 2 alpine type-e's in his pickup (subs inside) in a sealed box and I can hear him comming you know? It just doesn't seam like im doing that, or maybe I am...I dont know. What id really like to do is give my car to somone and say "Make it as good as it can get"...me tryin to get everything to work good gives me doubts about how it sounds you know?
Maybe I jus worry too much...

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 202
Im running about 350 true rms watts to each.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1985
well they type e's can slam too trust me my buddies got some in his wifes car. The type rs have much better sq and just as much if not more spl potential id think youll still be in the 130's with that power....my cousins kicker c comp entry level 12 hit 127db off of a profile 400 watt amp 250 rms true id think the sub is rated 150 rms but it takes it in a large ported box

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 203
they cost about $30 more per sub, id hope they can get louder.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1986
its suppossed to be ported to 39 hz but in car test showed 40 hz...the kicker box we made

Gold Member

Post Number: 1987
i didnt want to port it that high but the box was already made for my immortal 12 quad coil i had and we had to cut the box down to fit in my cousinc car so that changed the port tune from 36 hz to 39 hz or should i say a true 40 hz

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 204
i was talkin bout the e's to r's.

and I almost got some kickers...my next subs im getting will probly be 2 15" Eclipse Ti with a hifonics 1500D amp. I guess then i'll truly be satisfied...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1988
this from the guy who doesnt want spl lol. subfantic and i have been messin with boxes for that ti 15 he hit 146.6 i think on the back seat and i think it got louder in the trunk with a different box size one ti has the potential of 150 db easy two would not even be necesssary in my opinion lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1989
two 12s next step down hit 144db with plenty of juice in an suv in an sq box (a friend of mine)

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 205
lol, probly not but it'd be cool to say I had it. Na, im probly ganna get just 1 if its hitting that high.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1990
yeah save your wallet and alternator lol nad extra 15 and double the power is only 6 db gain ....i mean that alot but is the extra cost worth it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1991
i mean my buddies got 4 12's and he only hits 140.5 with 800 rms so its all in the install

Gold Member

Post Number: 1992
he just had the box built for sq and spl and didnt take it to a place that was experienced with comp vehicles

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 212
hey sean, could I ask you to do a really big favor? Since you know the stuff about my subs, could you tell me the exact stuff I'd need to do, if it isn't too much trouble? Im really thinkin about building it because of the money id save.

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 214
and also, if I sealed up the port in the box I have now, would it give it a flat response?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us