Can someone help configure a system

Username: Backlash

Post Number: 3
Ok i want to buy a Audiobahn system with 1 10 " sub that is loud with 800$ and under. this system will include amp, sub, head unit, cap, wiring. ty

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2894
Ok do you have access to Ebay?

Bronze Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 11
You may not need the cap depending on the vehicle and total system wattage..

What I can tell you, is 450$ got me two Audiobahn 12's (aw1200q's), an 800W RMS amp (when bridged at 4 ohms), two Q-logic type 3 ported boxes (with tunable ports), and 4 gauge wiring. This is enought to seriously contemplate the welfare of my hearing, with great SQ.

Of course these were purchased off Ebay with no long term warranty, but if you know what you're doing, this shouldn't be a concern.

In either case I'd go with two woofers, as you can likely get two decent subs for cheaper than one really expensive one, and have it lounder with better SQ.

With your setup I'd recommend two Audiobahn Alum10 woofers if you like SQ, with one of their high current 1200W RMS amps (which would be approx 1000W RMS at 1.5ohm load). This setup should cost less than 500$ leaving the remainder for a decent HU, wiring, and enclosure.

Those alum10's will produce decent SPL, but if you're looking for all-out SPL, you may want to look at their flame excursion series, or even the ultra excursion (which would cost more).

Many people will tell you all about Audiobahns problems, but when you look at the target audience it's not that hard to believe.

If you have a clue what you're doing, and how to pick and choose components wisely, you've gone a long way toward owning a system that will last you years. I've owned two Audiobahn systems in the course of 7-8 years, and their sound quality, output, and unparalleled value has kept me coming back each time.

Bronze Member
Username: Alias747

Post Number: 57
Good call dude. It's gonna be pretty tough to get all the stuff you want for under $800, ESPECIALLY retail price. Ebay is the way to go then.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2899
I dont recomend you go audiobahn if you are after any sort of SQ whatsoever. also
"In either case I'd go with two woofers, as you can likely get two decent subs for cheaper than one really expensive one, and have it lounder with better SQ. "

where do you get your information to back that statement up? I completely disagree, maybe two subs that are SPL oriented will get louder but they will not have better SQ then one better sub. You dont have to break the bank by anymeans but if you are gonna tell me that two $150 audiobahn subs will sound better then 1 $300 ID max then you have another thing comin man!

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 13
Okay you completely misunderstood me. The original poster was inquiring about Audiobahn products specifically.

I can almost guarantee you that one high priced Audiobahn sub will not have the same SQ as two lower priced models (especially the Alum series).

Have you owned an Audiobahn system? Listened to every music type on one? My alum12s with a 480W RMS amp (@ 3 ohm stereo) had some of the best SQ I've ever heard. The 1200Q's (in vented enclosures) I currently own have exceeded my SQ expectations, while being dirt cheap, and with great SPL.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not partial to one brand. I used Audiobahn because I've had extremely good luck with the in the past based on price and performance, and they have not let me down.

Now I'm not going to rock the boat saying that they're better than everything else-- they're not. I'm certain there's better SQ subs, and SPL subs alike. But for the price... Well I'm not convinced.

I've heard plenty of systems from all sorts of manufacturers (unfortunately not the ID max you mentioned), and from all sorts of novice-advanced installers, and I come to the same conclusion every time I hear one.

If you know what you're doing, you're going to get good results. Go online, dug up some reviews, theile small parameters, recommendations, and do the research before you purchase..

By no means whatsoever do you have to pay to dollar to get a nice system.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2907
your right you dont have to pay top dollar to get a good system , and yes I have run an Audiobahn system I think every one has at somepoint or other. I am not saying that audiobahn doesnt have the potential to get loud because they do especially when installed correctly. I am happy that you enjoy the SQ of them that is fantastic, but most will disagree with you. I know SQ is a completely judgemental thing and it completely differs from one to another but If I were to put you in a car with 1 ID max ported with 1000 watts or 2-audiobahn alums ported with 1000 watts you would hear what SQ really is thats all I am saying.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 16
I enjoy hearing all sorts of different installs, from different manufacturers. Car audio is hobby of mine, as such you can't just listen to one brand and think you know it all.

I'd love to hear the ID max. Never did I say the two Audiobahn alums had the best SQ. They don't. I've heard better SQ and SPL, but at a price. And it's quite likely the ID max could outperform the Audiobahns (alum12 prefer sealed enclosures btw).

But given the price range I have, and the experience I have in car audio (I've done several installs both for myself and others, with countless manufacturers), I found Audiobahn met my needs in terms of SQ and SPL for the price, and not just on one install/occassion.

I've never heard the ID max, upon hearing one, that may very well influence my next audio purchase.

But it does strike a nerve when I see countless posts basically condemning Audiobahn to useless garbage, when in all actuality they're not. For the inexperienced, chrome seeking newbie, they most certainly can be.

Post Number: 4
1200 watts rms enough???? i've decided to go with the 12" Pro Compression ( the one thats made out of one peice aluminum, and a the Audiobahn a12001DT and use at 1 ohm......now whats a good head unit with this setup and, cap, and wiring. keep the wattage in mind please...ty. i'm new to the "car audio" world, so do you think i need 1200 watts rms? or you think its just "lust" lol.

Post Number: 5
also what kind of box??? i want to keep it sealed

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 21
The theile small parameters dictate that a sealed box should work good. About 1.25 cubic foot with the addition of some polyfill is probably your best bet. If you don't have the room, the manufacturer recommends anything 0.5cf - 1.5, but the larger box will have more SPL and SQ at the expense of power handling.

Post Number: 7
i'm going to any comps so i just want it to impress ppl and i'm sure 1000 rms watts will do the job

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us