Help with subwoofers

Bronze Member
Username: Dacompetition10

Tracy, Cali United States

Post Number: 12
im getting ready to put some subs into my explorer n i was wondering wat a good RMS is to have in a sub...and a good wattage....becuz i kno to much watts can just give you bass with no lyrics....n i small wattage can give you well...not a lot better then factory in some cases...so whats a good wattage to have that will sound good and you can hear the people singing the song with the bass not over doing it..Wat kinda subs..12 or 15...im thinking about putting three 12 inch d edition audiobahns in my explorer...wat do u think...if you dont think its a good idea...then wat is?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2891
well wattage doesnt mean that it will get loud or not. You can have a sub that says it handles 800 rms but it really only handles 400 and sounds like cr!p or you can have a sub such as Adire shiva's,Resonant engineering RE line, Ascendant audio atlas they all run very well off of about 300 watts and they will be loud also. it all depends on the make of the speaker, and what it was intended to do. I dont recomend those audiobahn's.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
James..ok cool that sounds good..i just need a sub thats loud...one where you cant breathe in the car..ill keep lookin...but wat sub would you put in a explorer.

Bronze Member
Username: Mr_wiglz

ManchesterEngland

Post Number: 23
you say you wanna be able to listen to the songs without the bass over doing it. What are you doing wanting to put 3 12" subs in your car for then?

I've got 1 12" and that drains out the voices easily.

As James Longo said don't bother with Audiobahns they're all show and no go, compared to other brands. you may also wanna think about an amplifier to power your sub/s. If you just wanna add depth to your system, where you have more SQ rather then streetbass than go with a 10".

What is your budget?

If I were you with a big car, I would either go with 2 15"s or 2 12"s, two pairs of decent component speakers a four channel amp and a sub amp. and I would probably aim at around 2000wrms for both subs and about 150watt rms to each speaker.

As for brands etc, I don't live in the US to give you details of prices etc, but a good place to start looking for subs are RE, ID, DD, RF, Alpine, PG and MTX. For Amps have a look at RF, US amps, SPL Dynamics, MTX, Genesis, DLS, Soundstream, Hammer etc.

Also its good to give speakers and subs a bit of headroom, ie over power them slightly, this is far better than under powering them. this prevents clipped signals being sent to your speakers and as a result damaging them.

What h/u have you got?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2892
yeah Dino is right you dont want ot go throwing 3-12's in your car and expect it not to drown out all of your mids and highs if they are not highly ugraded. I recomend a set od components in the front and a set of coax's in the rear as fill running off of a 4channel amp and a dedicated sub amp if you want bass that you cant breath with then you are going to have to go with something good. Do you care about SQ or do you just want it LOUD? also like Dino said what Head unit are you running because you wont get the type of bass you are reffering to with a stock head unit the signals are to weak and the volume control is severly lacking.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
ok guys....yeah i see wat your talking about....but about the head unit...its a dual XD7600..and actually wat im going for is a hard hitting system but at the same time you can hear the lyrics...my friend has to rockford fosgates (12 inch) to caps a battery...n two rockford amps...but theres this one 50 cent song where it seems like he's whispering...i think its poppin them thangs or somthin like that...but i change the song that was playing to that 50 cent one and all the sudden....BOOOOOM...all you could here was bass...like you could BARLEY here him singing....i dont want that to happen..thats wat im going for.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2903
well first thing you need to do is take your head unit out to your dumpster and throw it in with some serious force, yes I said it your stock unit would have been better then anything made by DUAl they are the appidemy of garbage!

Bronze Member

ManchesterEngland

Post Number: 25
so, how would putting three 12" subs in your car help listen to the lyrics, when two are clearly too bassy.

If you want a good sounding system, do what James and I suggested. Get a good set of Comps for the front and amp them. If you want rear fill than you can also get a pair of coaxs and a four channel amp, or a two channel amp for the front and run the rear speakers off the h/u. You should be aiming for at least 80 watts RMS for the speakers. You have to remember it's all about the setting which depends on the music you listen to etc. also the Quality of the music files you're playing, MP3 files can vary a lot, maybe thats why you couldn't hear 50 cents rap. Most Hip hop tracks have a very heavy bass line. As I said, I think 2 12"s would be enough, but it sounds as though you want something better then your friends, so 2 15"s subs should suffice in that department, and put them in a ported box if you wanna go really loud.

Also Don't waste your money on a Capacitor, first things first, Upgrade the big three (if you don't know what this is just ask), maybe the alternator if need be, which I doubt you will, add either a second leisure battery with a split charge system or go for the easy option and get a batcap, check out Xstatic's range, they're awesome, easy to install and a lot more effective than caps.

as for brands etc james should be able to help ypu there. ALSO YOU STILL HAVEN"T SAID WHAT YOUR BUDGET IS?

Bronze Member

ManchesterEngland

Post Number: 26
LOL James,
I haven't actually heard of them so I couldn't comment. I have an Alpine CDA9835 in my car which I think is awesome. Nakamachi cd400 or a becker units are also very good. Pioneer also.

Eclipse I don't know enough about. JVC, Kenwood, Sony are a no no

go with my h/u you'll love it, or unless someone suggest something better

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
ok so two twevles sounds like that what ima hae to go with....AND NOW MY BUDGET..hahe sry...uhm for subs round 2-3 hundred n amp about 3-4 hundred...if i HAVE to spend more to support the subs then i will.

Bronze Member
Username: Balls573

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 69
how about 1 12" Resonant Engineering XXX for about 405$ and a Hifonics Brutus BX1500D for about 260$ with shipping off of ebay. I dunno what shipping would be on the XXX. that is 665$ for the whole setup.

Bronze Member
Username: Balls573

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 70
that should be plenty loud enough for him shouldnt it? should be just as loud or louder than your friends rockfords depending on which series they are.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us