Audiobahn A8000T Reliable?

Username: Backlash

Post Number: 1
I want to get it ^^^ with a Audiobahn 10" Eternal Series Sub. good setup???

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2933
A8000T is a good amp. For it's $150 price tag, it performs well. Same thing applies to A8002T.

Bronze Member
Username: Alias747

Post Number: 53
Hey Isaac, it's reliable but does it put out its rated power? 800x1 @ 2-ohms?

DynOmite
Unregistered guest
im not positive about this specific amop but i do know audiobahns whole company is overated(alot) and people have tole me they get a true 650w rms x1 at 2ohms but im not positive just what i've heard from people

but i would not expect 800wx1 at 2ohms from audiobahn

Gold Member

Post Number: 2936
I wouldn't say 800w rms, but from my testing, the sound was clean, even at high volume.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
So would you recommend the A8000T over a MTX 801D? Or maybe this amp?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5773778746%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26

I have another post(that no one ever replied to!) about this amp. I have never heard of this amp before. Would you trust it? Since I have never heard of it and it is refurbished? It comes with a 90 day warranty. But go to Rockford's site, I bet you dont find anything about this amp. Let me know, thanks Isaac.

allende5
Unregistered guest
I'm running the A8000T with an Alpine Type-X 10". I bought it before I did any research and read all of the negative input about Audiobahn. Actually, I started off running the A8000T w/ my 10" Type-X and the A4002T w/ my Infinity 6000cs components. At $149 and $114 on Ebay, it was hard to beat.

At first I was unhappy with the sound quality and later found out that many other people had the same complaint. But before I traded up my Audiobahn's for a better brand, I trashed the crappy passive x-over that came with my Infinity's, set the Audiobahn's to "Full" pass (no x-over, bass boost, or subsonic filter), and added a Clarion 3 way electronic x-over and the Audiobahn A2002T ($79) just to push my tweeters. Man, what a huge difference! IMO, the Audionbahn's built in hi-pass x-over, sounds like it's still passing too much bass. Using it, the mids and highs sound distorted. Also, my Infinity's built in hi-pass passive x-over was crossed over at, I beleive, 3.5KHz. To me it made the music sound "pingy" and "metallic". With the electronic x-over, I'm now crossing my highs over at 8KHz. Now my mids are only getting mid-bass and midrange frequencies, my highs are crisp, clean and distortion free.

I did a few other things like design a new enclosure for my Type-X using WinISD, which really helped my bass. Huge differnce!

Anyway, my point is this, I'm thinking that maybe some of the folks out there who were really unhappy with their Audiobahn amps were using them differently than I am (i.e., using the built x-over and/or bass boost, etc.). Since, I'm doing my sound processing with a 3rd party electronic x-over, and only relying on the Audiobahn to well...amplify, I'm happy with it. At $342 for three amps, I can't complain. Am I getting 800W @ 2ohm? Heck no. But unfortunately with a 65-70amp alternator in a Miata, I wouldn't be getting that anyway. Either way, using a 2 farad cap to buffer some of the power needed, it pushes my 1000W RMS Type-X 10" in a ported box quite nicely and gives a nice clean, tight, bump.

Well, this is just my experience.

Post Number: 2
so if i got the audiobahn A8002t and bridged it (is that the term you use to make the amp a mono?) then you think i would get 800 watts rms?

i'm a newb

Gold Member

Post Number: 2942
I'll call you I.W. for short form. MTX 801D spec says it's 800w rms @ 2ohms yet 250w rms @ 4ohms. That doesn't make any sense. I could understand if it was 800w @ 1ohm, but not 2ohms. Something doesn't look right with the numbers.
An amp will double as you lower the resistance by half. So 250w will be 500w. It can not be 800w rms. I hate it when companies use false numbers like that.
Anyways, MTX are good amps, but you can't beat A8000T's $150 price.

Max S, you can bridge A8002T amp but make sure you don't go below 4ohms. And the answer is yes, bridging will turn stereo amp into mono/1 channel.

Bronze Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 14
I have an Audiobahn A8002t that I purchased a couple months ago.

For the price you simply cannot beat it. As to whether it pushes a true 800W RMS, that's up for debate.

Audiobahn rates their amps at 200x2 RMS at 4 ohm stereo. And by halving the impedence they come up with 800x1 4 ohm mono, or 400x2 2ohm stereo. This is the best-case scenario rating, because halving the impedance usually does not produce double the power output, because some of that is lost to heat and distortion.

But I can tell you... is that that amp is 100% reliable, with great SQ, and has a HUGE amount of power output for the price. It powers my two 12" AW1200Q's with absolutely no problem @ 1 ohm mono (I do admit the amp gets quite hot, but it has never become a problem).

I use the Low pass crossover, and it works like a charm, it's set to pass about 80hz and below. It also has a subsonic filter which allows me to run ported enclosures without the risk of damaging the subs.

Even if the amp does not reach it's claimed power output (from what I can tell it comes damn close IMO), it's features and price more than make up for it. If you want more power output (the true 800W or above), spring for a higher-rated Audiobahn amp, it'll likely outpower most it's competitors given the price.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 15
sorry i meant it pushes my two subs @ 4 ohm mono... which is rated by the manufacturer as 800x1 RMS.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 58
Thanks Isaac, I obviously have choices, which I will have to decide. But I am still begging for someone to tell me ANYTHING about that Rockford amp that I found on ebay. Please help anyone!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2945
I did on your other post.

Silver Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 112
seeing that the amp only has a 60A fuse, and its Class Ab, which is less effcient; it is impossible for the amp to put out more than 600 watts, and its probally closer to 500. But its still a good deal compared to other 500watt amps, most of them also being overrated.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 17
Is the 60 amp fuse before the wiring gets to the amp, or after amp efficiency is taken into account?

If the latter, the 60amp fuse could easily withstand 800W RMS output.

allende5
Unregistered guest
They call them "Class A/B Mosfet" amps, but I `think` they are actually Class D amps. I'm almost sure I read that on their site somewhere.

allende5
Unregistered guest
Oh yeah, Max. I forgot to mention. I commute to work about an hour each way every day. I have no problem running my A8000T continuously without any problems. I never had an overheat. Granted, I don't really listen to hard rap, but I do listen to a lot of old school funk, and pump the bass pretty high.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 18
Good point.. Who knows..?

Quoted from Audiobahns website:

"A/B Mosfet Intake Series Amplifiers
Audiobahn is all about trying new things, and the family of Intake Series Amplifiers is a shining example of this. With plenty of power, each amp is outfitted with a special air induction system to keep the unit and its circuitry running cool for hours on end. You can even add features like a digital voltmeter and remote bass control to further enhance this amp's efficiency and output.

Building on the popularity of its Class D amplifiers, Audiobahn has harnessed that strength in the compact size and affordability of its Intake Series amplifiers.This new family of amps employs high-level inputs, allowing you to enjoy high power circuitry without having to replace your ride's factory head unit. These amps are more power efficient, requiring smaller heat sinks, making the entire component more compact. You'll appreciate this new level of convenience."

Then quoted from the specifications:

"Common features
Class D Power Amplifier
2 Ohm Stable
RCA (Low Level) and Speaker (High Level) Inputs
RCA Outputs
Mono Output
Input Sensitivity: 200mV ~ 8V
THD: <0.05%
Variable Low-Pass Filter: 40Hz ~ 120Hz
Variable Bass Boost Control @ 45Hz: 0 ~ 18dB
Air Induction Fan Cooled
Optional Accessories: ABR100T (Remote Mount Bass Boost Control Knob)
ADM100T (Remote Mount Digital Volt Meter)
4-Way Protection Circuitry: Thermal, Short Circuit, Overload, DC Offset"

It would appear to be a class D amplifier and with the 60W fuse rating, it would make sense. But in my own vehicle this sucker gets HOT!, which IIRC is not a charateristic of a class D amp. Someone would have to take one apart to make sure.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 19
By the way, the last Audiobahn amp I owned was certainly a class A/B rated at 200w/channel @ 4 ohm stereo, or 280w/channel @ 2ohm stereo. This thing was massive (far larger than my current A8002T).

This leads me to believe that the intake series is a class D because a) their 2 ohm stereo output is claimed to be DOUBLE that of the 4 ohm stereo, as opposed to their earlier class A/B specs, and b) the amp is far smaller than their earlier A/B offerings (which had lower output).

allende5
Unregistered guest
Hmmm...

That's a contradictory product description. I guess that's some of the reason why the intake series is so inexpensive, small and surprisingly powerful. As for how long it will last me...remains to be seen. But hell...for $150...it's practically disposable. :-)

DynOmite
Unregistered guest
im thinking of getting the a8002t for 1 15" avalanche because the avalanche 800w rms at 4ohms and the audiobhan amp is 800wrms at 4ohms.. plus Glasswolf told me to always power my amp 80% to the sub(meaning the amp would be about 640w rms to the 800w rms sub) so i thought with this amp overated a lil it'll work perfect.. what do you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2951
I'm the opposite of Glasswolf. I say you need an amp that's higher in power than a sub.
Here's my reason:
Almost all HUs will distort somewhere around 85%. So if you had an amp that was less, you'd be trying to get max power by raising the volume. That will cause HU to send distortion/clipping to the amp.
You know what'll happen to the sub once that happens. Subs/speakers never blow from clean power. It's always distortion/clipping.
Now if your amp had more power, then a 1000w amp at 80% will give you 800w. This is clean power. So you should be able to enjoy thumping bass without the hassle/worry about blowing a sub.
Next time you visit Walmart/Crappy Buy, pick any HU and raise the volume close to max. You will see it distort.

DynOmite
Unregistered guest
but will that amp be good for that sub ?

Post Number: 6
is this a good pair up?

audiobahn A12001DT amp with the Audiob AWP310T Sub?
what head unit, cap, amp wiring kit, and box do you suggest? i want to keep it sealed.

Silver Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 121
my freind who works for pioneer and installs sound systems professionally told me the same thing issac just said. He said its better to overpower beucase the only thing that blows speakers is distortion.

Post Number: 10
ok sounds good 1200 watt rms amp with 1000 watt rms sub???

DANNIIIEEEE
Unregistered guest
amp a4002t anygood? you talk about how good the more powerful ones are(a800t/a8002t) and i was just wondering if the a4002t was very good-- anyone have any experiences with one?

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 28
It's the same series of amplifier, just configured differently (I believe that one is 4 channel with a different power rating).

Sound quality of these are top notch for the price, but there's obviously better out there. Mine's [a8002t] been running several months without a problem.

DANNIIIEEEE
Unregistered guest
yes i know theres MUCH better amps out there.. but for a pretty penny.. these i heard are probably the best amp 150$ can get you.. and the amp i was looking at was a 2ch 1x400wrms 4ohms
2x100wrms 4ohms
2x200wrms 2ohms(i believe those are the specs) with a 40 amp fuse does that sound about right or overated?

Anonymous

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64571%26item%3D5773971351 %26

theres your best bet on a cheap deal for a kickass amp^^

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 194
looking at all of these amps...i'm wondering. some of those audiobahns are a/b amps. if pushing subs, how much of a difference will there be compared to running a class d? reason i am asking is i need an amp and i'm on a small budget. And from what i've heard, they are good for the money.

DANNIIIEEEE
Unregistered guest
well what do you need your amp to push?? if you need around 800w rms and have 2 4ohm subs that link above is perfect.. but we really can't tell you unless you specify wattage/your kind of subs/etc...

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
two 12" dual 4ohm perfects, 350rms each.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 29
Yep, an A8002T or A8000T would do the job nicely. Should push about 400W RMS to each of your subs.

Don't worry about the amp output being higher than the RMS rating of the subs, just don't get greedy with the gain.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
i wanted something with a little more, I agree with what Isaac said about pushing a little more than what is needed. One more question, how would this amp compare to an orion 800 extreme, or orion period? I know the orion is a little more, but if the extra little money is worth it, ill gladly spend it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2955
Howie, Orion is a better amp period. If you have the money, ALWAYS go for quality. You won't regret it.
Comparing Orion with Audiobahn is like BMW and GM Firefly (if they still make that tiny car).
If all you've got is $7000, then BMW is no good to you. Get the point?

Silver Member

Post Number: 197
I get the point, i appreciate your help.

Anonymous

howie how much is that orion amp your talking about?

because an audiobahn is cheap so if your getting an orion that puts out 800w rms tell me where your gettin that!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Yeah Im wondering too!

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
wait im confused now...you guys said in earlier posts that the A800t was 800x1 at 2ohms, the sites say 4...which is it?

allende5
Unregistered guest
The A8000T is 800W x 1 @ 2ohm & 400W x 1 @ 4ohm
The A8002T is 800W x 1 @ 4ohm, however is not rated for 2ohm.

Silver Member

Post Number: 199
yeah i figured that out, the a8002t is a two channel, bridged it's 800x1 at 4ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us