JL representative just told me sumin i couldnt believe....

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 362
i e-mail JL audio about the 1000/1. i waned to know how much power it really produces... first he tells me 1000 watts... im like i can read dumbass i want to know the bench test... n then hes like 10% more ... i thought for sure it would produce 20 % more power....
i e-mail zapco about the 750.2 and it produces 33% more power then the 750 its rated at. now thats what im talkin about underrated... do you guys think the JL guy is full of it and it produces closre to 20% more power or what? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2378
Even if it does do onlw 10% more, your crazy for complaining... It's 10% more. 10% of 1000 watts is 100 watts. So, since your amp is rated at 12 volts first off, your getting a true 1000 watts, unlike most companies that rate at 14.4 volts. Now, you have 1000 true wrms, and you add an extra 100 watts to it, and this may still be at 12 volts. Turn the car on and drive around with 13 - 14 volts, and you got more than 1100 wrms. Sounds pretty good to me.

As for Zapco, 33% seems pretty high. Hey, their probably telling the truth, but still, that's like an extra 250 wrms. That's a lot.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3913
Remember that the companies still have to be conservative with their ratings, even when telling you a bench test result. Zapco underrates heavily because they are competition oriented. The reason that they underrate power so much is so that they can get into lower power classes in competitions and have a good showing, be it a fraction of a db in SPL or a subjective SQ judging. It gives the company an added edge.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2382
After a certain point you'd think it could actually be somewhat dangerous though. Say you got some components, and you match up a Zapco amp to them, and run the exact rated wrms to the components. If the Zapco's actually putting out 33% more, couldn't there be the possibility for damage? I know that's a pretty exhaggerated example, but still...

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3914
In most cases clean power isn't as much of a threat as clipping is. For the exact same volume level, the amplifier with higher power will clip less and introduce fewer potential problems and better sound quality in the process. If you clip the more powerful amp as you would the less powerful one, then it's more of a problem, but most people that buy Zapco are doing so because they know the quality of the amplifiers and (IMO) should know their limits anyway.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2921
Joe you have to remember that speakers will handle a bit more than their rated power. But the trick is, it has to be CLEAN power. So if you used an amp like Zapco that were underrated, then you'll be fine.
I've supplied 120w+ on a speaker that was rated 90w rms max. It still sounded great without distortion.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2386
Yeah, you guys are right. I never thought about clean vs. clipped power. And your also right Jon, most people that are buying Zapco already know what they';re really getting.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 364
im not realy complaining but i just always thought a 1000/1 would push around 1200 watts.... and as for the voltage... JL slash amps produce the same power from 11.5V to 14.4V

man i want a zapco amp just because lol... someday... JL has made me happy many times already so im plenty satisfied with their products.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3916
Even if that 1000/1 provided around 1200 watts as opposed to 1100, you really wouldn't notice a substantial increase in volume from the extra power. JL would just have bragging rights :-) Remember that it takes double the power to provide a 3db increase. To produce a 1db increase, you have to up the power by roughly 25%, which would be an extra 250 watts in your case. A difference of 100 watts at this high a power level won't be noticeable by a large amount nor will even get a 1db benefit from it (abiding by generalizations, of course).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us