Polyfill igniting? Yikes

Silver Member
Username: Swantlaphoenix

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 102
So I just stuffed my sealed 12" x.x.x with polyfill. I noticed that the sub was still pretty warm and it had been 6 hours later. Well.... It got me thinking... Is it possible for the polyfill to catch on fire. LOL. I'm a little scared now. I read the bag and it said highly flammable. Am I going to come out one day to a burnt black car?

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 103
Anyone answer before I drive tomorrow lol :-/

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 771
If your clipping your amp enough to get the sub to heat up that much...poly-fil is the least of your worries :-(

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 104
Im not sure what clipping is but I dont think my amp is doing that

Silver Member

Tucson, AZ

Post Number: 105
Is it not normal for a sub to get warm in a sealed enclousure or what

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 458
I believe its normal for a sub to get warm but not to the point where it can ignite something flammable.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2332
No. It'd take something very hot to actually ignite polyfill. The sub basket would need to be almost glowing red. I don't think you have to worry about anything.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2899
Unless your amp is distorting/clipping pretty badly, the sub shouldn't get hot. Just imagine how hot the sub has to get for it to cause fire. The voice coil will probably blow before the sub causes any fire.
Besides, the polyfill is not suppose to be touching your sub.

ThatGuyYouKnow
Unregistered guest
stuffed? you only need 1lb per cuft, thats how i do it. and theres enoff room in my sealed enclosure where it doesnt touch my RESE's

triple stacked magnets are big but still lots of room and the polyfil isnt stapled down(might want to do that if its touching the voice coils or around the sub).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us