JL Audio

Username: Telef

Post Number: 1
After many days of browsing this message board I thought I would finally sign up and ask a question seeing how helpful everyone seems to be.

I currently have 2 10" JL subs in a sealed box custom fitted for a 3rd gen Camaro. I am not sure model these subs are since the backs are painted white but I'm guessing they are older W0's (although I could be completely wrong).

Right now I have them hooked up to a 1000W (haha!) Legacy 4ch piece of sh!t amp. You know, the ones with the 20A fuse. I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to purchase a JL 250/1 to go with these subs. The subs right now are kinda loud, but it seems like they could do a lot better. I believe the subs handle 125w RMS since thats what most of the older 10" JL subs are rated. Would this be a big improvement?? Also what would be the best way to hook these subs up to this amp?? I do not have any experience with mono amps, just crappy Legacy and Pyramid 4ch amps.

Thanks,
telef

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
Do it, world of difference in the sound quality department.

Bronze Member
Username: Alias747

Post Number: 38
I am quite positive you will get much better sound quality out of the 250/1. If those subs are 125w rms that would definately be a good match for those subs. The 250/1 puts out AT LEAST 250w rms, but JL amps are underated so you will be running those subs real nice, since it is better to stay above the rms than below it. As for hooking them up, it all depends on how many voice coils are on each sub and what kind of resistance (ohms) each one runs at. I am guessing that the way the subs are hooked up now, you have each sub going to its own channel bridged(on the legacy 4 channel). Say that each sub has a single 4 ohm voice coil(which is more than likely). Wire the subs in parallel to get a 2 ohm load. That would run nice on the 250/1 amp. Here is a pic for reference.

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#2svcp

Hope that helps ya. :D

Username: Telef

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the info! I found some nice used ones for about $200 on eBay. I think I'll get one. Sound quality is important, especially in a hatchback where the subs are pretty much right behind your head!

Bronze Member
Username: Alias747

Post Number: 39
Glad I could help! I think your subs will sound really nice now! :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us