Snail Shell?

Bronze Member
Username: Balls573

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 39
What is a snail shell box? I have a 15" XXX and want to have a new box built for it, I was gonna have my local shop bulid me a 4.00 cu. ft. ported box tuned to 27 hz. just like re's website reccomends but would a snail shell box be louder?

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 628
yes, the Snailshell will be louder but will cost you alot more money. But their worthed IMO. Yesterday me and mah bro finally hooked the RF p1 in the SS up to a real amp, and it beat 2 12" cvr's in their ported box. but If you know how to build a enclosure. I can give you the link for the specs made just for a 15" XXX Snailshell enclousre.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2239
How much was it gonna cosy ya for your local shop to build that box? For the extra money, you may want the snailshell, if your trying to get the most out of that sub. It'll cost your about $350 though.

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 632
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/555453/2 He took the SS for the 15" XXX apart

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1928
basslova can you describe the sound out of one of these boxes and what type of spl did you hit with the rf p1 i wouldnt mind making one of these for my mtx 10 8000's

Bronze Member

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 40
I'd like to have that link that shows the specs so i can give it to my local shop when they build it.

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 633
the sound that i got of this is like a ported box. But its more flatter. Have you ever heard an transmission line enclosure? If you have it sounds just like that but inside a car. Its an awesome sound. I was amzed to get the sq out of a p1. even though it wasnt top notch it did sound good still. I have yet to get it metered. I hit 129db with 2 p1's in ported box tuned to 32hz. Suprised huh. It was with 600watts.though. 2 times as much as it rated for.lol And this enclousre with 1 p1 hit way harder than the 2 12" p1's. sounded like atleast 100% louder to my ears. And dropped way lower than the ported enc. and sounded 100% cleaner. Jacob i put the link up already. Its on the 3rd and 4th page.

Bronze Member

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 41
ok thanks. I have about a 2.5 cu. ft. ported box now and with 1500 watts it hit 150.7 in a cavalier, how much louder do you think it will be with the SS enclosure and 1600 watts?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2259
Might gain a couple decibels. I wouldn't think you'd gain more than 2 or 3 at the most...

Bronze Member

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 43
How much louder would that sound compared to mine now? Worth the extra money for the SS?

Bronze Member

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 44
Oh and Joe the shop was gonna charge 150$ for the 4.00 cu. ft. ported box.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2294
I'd honestly just get the ported box then. I guess $150 isn't horrible, since it's being built for you, it's ported, and it's a pretty decent sized box. The Snail Shell isn't gonna perform miracles for you. Yes it will gain you a few db's, and maybe better sound quality, but the xxx is still gonna make your ears bleed in a well built ported box.

Bronze Member

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 48
ok now what would you buy first, the amp or the box? I am kind of limited on cash for a while because some stuff has come up but it is the first thing im going to buy when i get the money. The amp is about 300$

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2306
Lol, really doesn't matter, but I'd say get the amp first, if you have the money already. Then you don't have to save up as much for the box, and if something ever happened and funds were short, you would already have the amp, and could build a cheap sealed box.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1934
thanks basslova but im wondering how to do the build for the 10's mtx 8000's is there a formula ...id love to learn how

Gold Member

Post Number: 1935
Im workin on tryin to get the stats for my mtx 8000s in a ss but still welcome input from you basslova

heres one i found for the 12 triple x

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=079049

heres one with other sub sizes and different brand subs

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vno@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/7443&.dnm=9467.jpg&.src=ph

copy and paste the links on a new window if they dont work

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 635
okay you all know blackice right. One of the 3 people that worked at powered4sound and said they screwed him out of his money. So he started giving info on the subs. You also know how they say that each enclousre is made special for each sub. Well he told me not totally. The only diference bettween the boxes is the airspace where the sub goes. Use the qts and vas to figure out the airspace in the region where the subs goes and thats the only difference. If youre qms and vas are close to that of a XXX then you should be fine and dont have to do any calculations. the only mistake i made with my p1 enclosure was just used the stats from the 15" XXX ports, and the wsnt no way in hell that a 12" sub was going to move as much air as a 15" so i shouldve shrunked the ports a little bit to compensate. But that did give the p1 a flatter response which i did like. So that was one mistake. And not to mention it was a p1(7.7 mm xmax.lol) So i shouldve shrunked the last port to 4 inches. Which i didnt i had it at 7 inches wide. My next project is a double shot for 2 12" cvr's. Which im going to build this friday. Hoping to break 140's with 2000w rms for burps. Almost triple of what they can hold. but im sure they can take it if a p1 rated 150wrms took 600wrms for late night tip. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1937
so basslova can you explain the formula so that i can do my mtx 8000 10's or any other speaker for that matter

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 637
since you have a multiple subs do you want single SS's for each sub or do you want a DS

Gold Member

Post Number: 1948
double please.....is there a formula

Gold Member

Post Number: 1949
sounds like mcdonalds now lol

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 638
lol. its on this site. www.bigboyzaudio.com for the double shot. But maybe its my computer but for some reason i cant get on that site.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1950
im not sure what im looking for here but i think i got it to work

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 639
lol... is their a pic of a doubleshot on the homepage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1951
no

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 640
what do you see on the homepage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1952
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-53794.html

Silver Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 133
i downloaded the files off that website before it stopped working. send me a pm with your email and i will send them to you.

Silver Member
Username: Sancho886

El Cajon, CA US

Post Number: 135
i sent the files to you guys who emailed me. if anyone else wants them let me know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1953
thanks roger

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3455
guys, do you think that the snail shell for the 15 x.x.x would be close enough for my 15 Ti to build that???? also if not, anyone know where i could get specs for a 15 ti ss box for a double shot 15 ti ss box, thanks guys

Silver Member
Username: Pharoh

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 212
hmmm, Im really good with woodworking and i have my own shop in behind my house and i just got a nice deal on aot od 3/4 inch MDF board. I am going to experiment boxes(wierd shapes, port sizes, and airflow patterns(snailshell like), and see if i can get some different sounding box. I was wondering if it would hurt my Kappa 12's being introduced to wierd stuff like that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1954
just be carefull if its not tuned right and you push it you can blow your sub pharoh....and yes subfantic i do think that box would work well for your ti...im all for experimenting too ...try one of those abc boxes for me and tell me what you think

Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 8
http://realmofexcursion.com/videos/Adire/brahma12.2.wmv
this is what turned me on to them.

Bronze Member

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 63
On that video it says that a SS box isnt for spl at all. does that mean i would do better in a competition if i had a regular ported box built to REs specs?

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 654
For spl comps you will most likely do better with a ported box tuned to your vehicles resonance frequency...... But if you build a box to RE specs tuned to like 32hz im sure the SS would do better in that situation at a spl comp.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2449
Did you guys notice how fricken good that Brahma sounded playing good old school rap? Hit every note perfect no matter how fast.

I bet that g@y-wad with the Mojo's thought he was so cool when he hit 150. Too bad normal music would sound like absolute crap in his car.

Bronze Member

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 66
so I would do better with a SS tuned to 32 hz if i was in a comp? and what do you mean tuned to my vehicles resonance frequency, how do i find out waht that is on my vehicle?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2460
I really don't know if you can have your snailshell box's tuned. Their built specifically for each sub. I guess you could tell them what tune you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. As for your car's resonance frequency, you'd have to go to an audio shop and have it tested.

Bronze Member

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 71
oh so would it score better at a comp with the ported box tuned to my vehicles resonance frequency or the SS?

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 671
a enclousre tuned to your vehicles resonance frequency would do better.

Silver Member

Miami, FLORIDA USA

Post Number: 672
And no you cant tell p4s what to tune your snailshell to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us