Vent vs port??

Silver Member
Username: Ctx

Post Number: 125
would there be any sound differnce, between using mdf board for a square vent or pvc pipe for a round port

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1874
no you can just taylor make your port more slot ported over pvc more flexability and zero cost

Bronze Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 29
There the same thing. Just port usally goes by round ports and vent is a coutout. But technically its the same thing. I like vented better. No port whistling.

Bronze Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 30
Oh also, Sean you are wrong. Well not wrong but very vague. You cant just go putting ports everywhere. it dosent work that way, unless you want your sub to sound like trash. You have to carefully tune the port (tune it to where you put it, how long tube etc.) otherwise it wont sound good atall. You can find actual dimensions etc for a tuned box with tuned ports. Follow them or sound bad. End of story. Sean you are a senior member homie. Be more specific. It helps people out more. KK. []Deace homie.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1898
tim i understand very well how porting works although i admit i didnt word my statement clear enough i helped many people build boxes some that hit very hard

kk peace homie

Gold Member

Post Number: 1899
dont be so quick to judge next time bro

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Sean made it clear enough, tuning the port by length is common sense, I just needed to know if pvc sounded any different

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3887
It won't really sound any different, the main issue you'll have with either is port noise, which can be fixed quickly by smoothing out the edges and making sure you choose a large enough port area to do the job. Bigger is better in this situation. If you really want to get down to the knitty gritty, slot ports have more friction because of the fact that they're beside an enclosure wall (effectively making the port seem longer, which requires an end correction factor), plus the crossarea ratio which usually is less than ideal (try to keep it under 1:9 ratio of width to height to prevent problems).

Silver Member

Post Number: 127
oh one more thing what does the speaker displacement have to do with the port, and how the box sounds?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1903
speaker displacement is just the amount of airspace taken up by the subwoofer so if said box was 2.00 cf before the sub and the sub took up .25 then you box space would be 1.75 cf and you would design your desired port tune to 1.75 cf instead of 2.00 cf

Bronze Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 38
I kno, sorry it sounded bad. I didnt mean for it to sound like that. Im just sayin some people like it. You kno. Im not quaetioning what you know, or have done, I'm just sayin addin that would be nice. Iet im out for the nite. []Deace

Bronze Member

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 39
questioning** (spelling error)

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 238
the only difference that i have found with vent vs. port is with a vent you get less air noise thus slitly better sound quality
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us