I know what my box is tuned too, now I need help

Silver Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 177
Remember the whole trying to figure out what my box was tuned to thread? My prefab Obcon ported box is tuned to 39 hz...thats from Obcon themself.

So, if I get a custom made ported box tuned to about (I got 2 12" Alpine Type-R's) 28-30 hz, would that make a huge difference in SQ, and SPL. I DO know that the lowest lows on some songs sound WAY less loud than a bit above. I deffinately dont get much of a flat response at all. Would paying $150-$200 for a box for the 2 be well worth it in the long run?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2192
Yes, you'll notice a pretty big difference. I would honestly try to sell your Obcon box and spend a little extra to get the box done right. What's the sense in buying good subs and then dropping them in the wrong box?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 178
What I really want to achieve is making the LOWEST lows as loud as the ones a bit higher, you know? Kinda hard to explain I guess. It sounds crappy when the song has a bass line with a super low note in it that hits hardly at all and ones higher shaking the car.

That would be because of the tuning of my box right? Also, what should I ask the builder to tune it to?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1167
Lol, see?

We should've just listened to the master(Jonathan) and saved us the trouble. What WAS our final opinion of what the tuning frequency was? like 37-38 Hz?

hehe, fun figurin that stuff out tho.

I got my box tuned to the fs of my 10w3's(28 Hz) which is about as low as you can go w/o running into problems. Hits real low for 10's.

-Fishy

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 179
Alright, im going to ask to tune it to 28hz, and should their be any song that will sound crappy with it tuned to that? Should I go to 26hz?

Should I ask Detroit Bass http://www.detroitbass.com/enclosures.html to do it, or go to an audio shop near by (or if theres a better site).

Also, how much should I be looking for, money wise, to get for the box if I sold it on ebay?

Should've just waited and got a custom one first, but im stupid.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1168
What I really want to achieve is making the LOWEST lows as loud as the ones a bit higher, you know? Kinda hard to explain I guess.

You could use a parametric EQ and cut the frequencies right around peak output to flatten things out. I tried boosting stuff right around 20 Hz with the one my Xtant has onboard. Works ok with my sealed stealthbox. Sound like @$$ with my ported 10w3's.

-Fishy

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 180
I mean the box I already have...

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1169
Due to shipping costs I'm not sure I'd bother trying to sell that thing on e-bay. See if you can unload it locally or just make shelves out of it. Thats what I do with my failed experiments.

:P

-Fishy

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 181
ha, dont need any shelves...but how much should I ask for if I sold it to somone I know. (Which they probly wont be happy with and want their money back...maybe)

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3868
28hz is plenty low and a great SQ tune, most music goes down to around 30hz and that's about it. In the rare cases that it goes below 28hz, you can drop down close to 20hz safely, below that point you need to use a subsonic filter. You'll get a flatter response and a more balanced sound by upgrading your box, with better SQ, but your SPL won't really improve since you're moving your maximum amount of gain down to lower frequencies, you'll lose a little SPL and gain a lot of bandwidth and depth. Definately worth it though, IMO. As far as the box, detroit bass builds excellent enclosures.

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 126
i was wondering the same question lik i love the way my sub hits at like rock beats and stuff but i want to tune my ported box to around 30hz. would that greatly effect the loudness at the rock fq?

Silver Member

FL USA

Post Number: 182
So getting this box would make my subs sound better than most people you hear going down the street if they had the same subs? What do they usually go with, because I know its probably not a prefab ported box.

Lol, im so cautious, but I guess its good to be...I just want to sound good and not have stress over car audio lol.

Silver Member
Username: Langless28

Post Number: 127
u cant be too cautious when spendin this kinda money (in debt 2k) haha
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us