Overpower or underpower? Glass/Sub/Isaac, HELP!

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 26
I'm planning on using 2 infinity kappa perfect 12.1s (single 4 ohm or dual 4 ohm depending on amp) and they are rated at 350 rms apiece. they will be in a sealed box with 1^3 each. I am planning on using kicker amps to power the subs, and i need to know should i use the 600.1, rated at 600 rms at 2 ohms, or the 1200.1, rated at 1200 rms at 1 ohm? is it better to overpower the subs? can they handle that much power?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1142
I'd go 600 watts.

Power handliong specs are usualy thermal and describe how much heat/power the voice coil can take before meltdown. It generally takes a lot less power than this for a sub to reach full excursion especially in sealed enclosures.

Unless you push the amp into clipping underpowering never hurts a sub otherwise subs would be blowing left and right whenever someone listened to them at low volumes.

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2802
What you have to be careful of is that almost all HUs distort around 85% up the volume. So don't assume you can max it and expect 600w out. You'll get high distortion/clipping mixed in along with the power.
This is why I always recommend stronger amps so that you can get max power before 85% mark.

Bronze Member
Username: Virus5877

West Lafayette, Indiana USA

Post Number: 27
alright, thanks guys, I think i'm gonna go with the 1200.1 cause i can always turn the gain (and the volume) down, and keep the distortion lower with the larger amp. (plus the 1200.1 is the same size as my 4 channel amp that i'm using for the components, and it'll look better in the final install.)

Bronze Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 26
Overpower over underpower. Underpowering will distort a sub. Overpowering under reasonable amount it better. Note reasonable. 500-1000 watts over is NOT reasonable. Oh and i run max power at 90 % no distortion whatsoever. Sq and db tested. 172.3 DB . :-) but then again I do know what I'm doing :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us