Help with System!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Algirard1

OH United States

Post Number: 90
I have a 1993 Ford Ranger Extended cab with a 95 amp alternator. I am looking to put a sub in to get some bass. I was looking at either the atlas or the avalanche. I only have $800 to spend on sub/s, amp for sub, components, amp for components, wiring, and materials for box that I will build. i listen to mainly rap so i would like a lot of spl but a little sq, so a mix. Could you help me decide? If you think i would be better getting another sub for the price just suggest it? Thanks

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 91
Any suggestions would be helpful?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1134
Do you listen to mp3 encoded cd's?

How much space do you have or are willing to sacrifice in the back? Aproximate dimensions would help.

You've got a lot of options, but answers to those two questions would narrow it down a bit.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 94
No I don't listen to mp3. I have around 4 ft^3 in the back of my ford ranger extended cab. The maz diminsions are 40Lx20Hx15D.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 95
I was thinking of an 15" Avlanvanche running off of around 500 watts rms. Do you think this would be a good sub? Also would this put to much strain on my electrical system. If this would be good what amp would you suggest?

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 96
any suggestions

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 97
I will be deciding soon so I need your help. This is my first system and i want it to be good.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2190
$800 is a little low for everything including components and a seperate amp for them. I'd honestly focus that 800 bucks on just your sub, amp, box and wiring now. Save up and get components and another amp later. Trust me man, if you wanna do it right, this is your best option. You'll cry later when you realized that you almost bought cheap stuff because of a low budget.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 98
ok thanks! Do you think I should get an avalanche running off of 500-600 watts rms. The only concern is my electrical system. Right now I have 4 pioneer 6x9 running off of a sony headunit. The headunit dims with the bass. I think i might need to upgrade the big 3. What are your thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3866
With the current Ascendant prices, the Avalanche 15" would be a good choice. That's $225 spent.

For components, you could look into Infinity Kappas or Kappa Perfects, or CDT. They both offer great budget systems, you can find them around $200.

For amps, a good amplifier that puts out roughly 125W to 150W RMS x 4 will work well, you can run the front components off the front channels and bridge the rear channels for the sub, offering 500-600W RMS for the sub. MTX, JBL, RF, and Kicker all offer good budget amps, you can search ebay for them. You can typically find an amp that size around $200-$300.

For wiring, visit Knukonceptz.com and snatch up a 4 guage wiring kit. $30

Remaining cost can be spend on MDF for the enclosure, and eventually carpet or whatever you want to dress the enclosure with.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 99
Any suggestions on an amp. I have searched but I can't find a good amp?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1170
If you have to have your whole sytem now you could go with an Atlas 15 instead and look for a good 75x4(4 ohms) amp. Might be able to afford some CDT's with the money left over. With that lil power your stock alternator will probably be fine as well.

In that situation you could even go with a pair of these:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=sourub3002&store=&catid=303

Its a good lil discontinued amp that used to list for over $300. I own one and it does well on both mid/high and sub applications.

If you went that route you'd have nearly $500 left to spend on a good set of components, box, amp kit, etc.

It really depends on whats important to you. To me my front stage is the most critical part of my system. For Rap? I dunno. 300 watts of 15" Atlas should be plenty of bass for most, but 600 watts of 15" Avalanche would be just plain sick and might be more to your liking.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3869
You can look at the MTX Thunder1004, that would be a great match for that setup.

Bronze Member

OH United States

Post Number: 100
I was just wondering if my speakers I have now would be ok with the Avalanche. They are 40 watts rms Pioneer 6x9 3 way coaxials. or would I be better off just getting a good set of components?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1171
Components would be better, but its going to be difficult to stay under $800. There's not a lot of class D monoblocks that match well with a single avalanche 15. Class a/b amps are bit less efficient so it might be more likely that a H.O. alternator would be needed.

Anyone know of a good inexpensive class d monoblock that gets its best power at 1 ohm?

-Fishy

Silver Member

OH United States

Post Number: 101
Well don't worry about the components right now. I am just going to get the Avalanche, amp, wiring, and materials for box right now. I will save up some more money so i can get a good set of components and an amp for them. What is a good mono amp to power the Avalanche that won't kill my electrical system? Thanks for all of the help.

Silver Member

OH United States

Post Number: 102
Would a JL 500/1 amp be a good amp for one Avalanche or is there a cheaper amp that will put out around 500-600 watts rms at 1ohm or 4ohm?

Silver Member

OH United States

Post Number: 103
Would I be able to use this amp to power the avalanche. Is it possible to only use one channel of the amp? What other amps would you suggest?

http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=451&1=452&3=2811

Silver Member

OH United States

Post Number: 104
Forget about the channel question that is a 2 channel amp that I would bridge to get 500 watts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us