How many watts?

Anonymous

I have 3 12" alpine type e sub's. I just need to know what specs. for an amp that i need. And some suggestions on brand name. Thanks because all this info is confusing.

Username: Dano9258

Post Number: 5
Hey. What is the RMS wattage on your subs? What you want to do is get an amp that is as close to the total of the RMS wattage of the three subs. For instance, if you have two subs that are 450 rms each, then get an amp that is as close to 900 rms.

For brand, I would have to say MTX, Rockford Fosgate, or Eclipse. Stay away from Sony (they suck and blow your subs)! Infinity are also good, and usually cheaper than MTX.

Check out ebay for some good ones. I would personally recommend the Infinity 1211a cuz i have it and it rocks. It pushes about 1300 rms.

Let me know if this helps, and email me any more questions at dano9258@gmail.com if youd like.

Bronze Member
Username: Sevin7

Post Number: 86
i think those subs are 250rms each. So an amp between 500-800 would be good for you.

Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 8
Thanks!!

Post Number: 9
Agian im confused. I read this thing on the internet saying that 3 single voice coil subs with 4 ohms all wired together would be a 1.34ohm load. So, do i need to find an amp that has 500-800 watts in 2 ohms or 1 ohm?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Does anyone know? Or is it a really dumb question?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2817
You will need 1ohm stable amp, not 2ohms.
JL 500/1 and 1000/1 amp is a good example of that. Zapco/US Amps/Xtant/Orion/PPI/MTX and Audiobahn all make 1 ohm stable amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
r eny of those any good, besides mtx?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I found a memphis 16-prd100.1 amp, atomic 800.1, Orion 600d, and a kicker 600.1. Does anyone have input if anyone of these amps are good for the price at a little less than $300.00?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1150
The JL slash series amps are only rated to 1.5 ohms.

Although they might do ok at 1.34 ohms an amp that is rated at 1000 watts at 1 ohm would deliver 750 at 1.34 ohm which would match your drivers, but may be out of your price range.

I don't know about the other amps you listed, but the kx600.1 isn't stable to 1 ohm.

Gimme a bit and I'll see if I can find the specs on those other ones.

Basically you need to find a mono amp stable to 1 ohm. To figure out how much power it would develop into your 3 subs just multiply the 1 ohm power rating by 3/4.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1151
That Memphis would work well:

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?cat=&id=66&p=2

You'd get 750 watts out of it with your speaks. I don't have any experience with Memphis but I hear they make decent stuff.

The Orion would work too:

http://www.orioncaraudio.com/amps/Dmono.asp

You'd only get 450w with it, but that might be enough to power those subs just fine(150w each).

As far as the atomic 800.1 goes, I've never heard of it and can't find any specs either.

If someone can verify Memphis' build quality I'd go with that one.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1152
Nevermind.

Of those choices I'd go with the Orion. those type E's are only rated for 200w rms:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=alpswe1241&showspecs=1&catid=369&st ore=

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 394
i have a friend with 3 alpine type e 10's and hes using a JL 500/1 with a 1.33 ohm load and it works fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
thoughs are a different subs. I have the 1242 which deliver 250 rms.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 396
yeah, i was just refering to the JL impedance deal.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1155
Ohhhh Stevie.

You need to provide a link to a page that shows exactly which subs you have with specs. If I'm correct on how Alpine does its model numbers those are DUAL 4 ohm voice coil subs, NOT SVC 4 ohm.

If this is the case its a whole other ball of wax.

Three dual 4 ohm subs can be wired together to provide a 2.67 ohm load, NOT 1.34. I'm pretty sure you need to be looking for an amp that gets its best power at 2 ohms, NOT 1. The Kicker kx600.1 would work in this case.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18803%26item%3D5771623613 %26%26 these are the same exact subs i have. I also found others of the same ones that say they are 200 rms. But, my box says 250 rms and 750 max.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0oyO42G22Bj/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=500SWE1242 here is another link to another site that is not from ebay.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1158
OK cool. Other Alpine subs I've seen that have "42" in the model # are dual 4 ohm. Just wanted to make sure. If what you have has just one voice coil then you're fine.

Go with something like either that Memphis or the Orion.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
sounds good, io think i will go with the mempgis only because i have heard great things about there quality from friends.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
o man, i just realized that the memphis's fuse rate is 40a times 4

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
do u think that my alternator can handle that amount? I have a honda 1996 accord.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1177
Could be a problem, but at 3/4 power you will draw about 3/4 the current as well. Still three fourths of 160 is 120 amps. Class D amps are generally about 80% efficient which means at 750w and 12 volts the thing will probably draw around 80 amps. I don't know what size alternator comes stock with an accord, but 80 amps is a significant amount of current regardless.

If upgrading to a H.O. alrenator isn't an option then the Orion might be a better choice. If you can find a h.o. alternator for that car you could always get the memphis, see how it does, and upgrade your alternator if necessary. I'd think you'd experience a significant amount of distortion long before you reach 750w of output and to be honest I think that Orion and 450 watts would push those subs just fine.

Regardless, H.O. alternators are always a good idea when running a lot of power, especialy with small economy cars. They generally have fairly dinky alternators.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
okay sounds good. I have already thought about upgrading my alternator eventually. But, i guess i would have to soon. I am just afraid that 150watts per sub might not be enough and just be a waste of money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
I just found an alternator for 200.00 that is 135 amps and says that it can power a 1500 watt stereo system. What do u think?

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1178
I don't know about 1500 watts, but it will power that Memphis just fine and I agree the Memphis would be a much better investment. You may want to go with a single dual 2 ohm "supersub" sometime in the future.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
ya thats what i was thinking about.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1189
Although in most situations, since music is dynamic, you are not going to draw a full 80 amps all the time so sometimes you can get away with a smaller alternator. However if you've got the A/C, headlights, and windshield wipers on, you may be drawing a significant amount of current from these accessories alone(30-40 amps, maybe more).

135 amps should be enough for that Memphis even at 1000 watts, but you may run into trouble if you add a high power amp for mids and highs, epecially at lower engine rpm. Some alternators provide very little output at idle so make sure if its a hot, rainy, night you keep the rpms up when your system is cranked.

If you have an in-dash voltage meter, monitoring that will help you keep things in order. If the voltage drops and stays that way TURN DOWN THE TUNES, hehe.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
ya there isn't an indash voltage meter.
Thats about the only thing with my car.lol

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1194
If you get the 135 amp alternator you probably won't have to worry with just the Memphis. H.O. alternators often have a smaller pulley so produce a good deal more output at idle than stock.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us