2003 Ford Explorer help

Username: Dacompetition10

Tracy, Cali United States

Post Number: 6
I have 2003 explorer and and im going to be puttin a system in it soon. I want subs that you can hear for down the block and when i pull up at a stop light it shakes the cars around me...suggestions. I dont want the subs to hit so hard that all you hear is bass...i want the noise to be loud...i can hear the peoeple singin...and it bumps hard.

Silver Member
Username: Ctx

Post Number: 119
2 15in comp vr's on a mtx 801d in a ported box did real good in my explorer for the price, as for hearing the words in the song, thats up to your cd player control. If you want to demolish the block with bass,with little regard to sq go for 2 kicker L7 15's, on a mtx 1501d, in a large ported box, which is about to be my setup

Post Number: 7
ight, ill check into it...how much where the 15's. So the comp vr's are the sub type? And they are MTX's right. The 801d is the amp?

Post Number: 8
Demolish is wat im going for..there are some hard systems here but i KNOW that i can out bump anyone. A couple of weeks i will i just want to kno how much are those L7 15's? THX

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1045
You can have a system that "bumps" moderately and sounds musical or you can have one that shakes the earth yet totally obliterates your highs. Unless you plan on investing at least as much money in your front stage you're probably going to be disappointed.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 343
If you want to demolish the block with bass,with little regard to sq go for 2 kicker L7 15's, on a mtx 1501d, in a large ported box

Thats what I have and it's freakin' loud. In a Ford Explorer too.

Post Number: 9
So the mtx 1501d is an amp right? Ey fishy, yeah i kno that ima be spendin some dough on my system....over the years...but i dont mind spendin a thousand or 2...i just want somthin nice n strong to start out with. i also want the bass to fill my car..lucas you know how it is...So do your subs fill your car in do the works? Oh, and does your back radal like if you put subs in a civic or somthin...im puttin Dynomate all throughout but i just wanted to know if your explorer radals and if so...are you preventing it(how)...
-Mike

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2668
Hey Mike I would stay away from the L5's and L7's at all costs unless you plan on throwing away money on unreliable subs that you will have to replace in no time. Look into Resonant engineering,Adire,Ascendant audio,JL audio,Image Dynamics, those are a few good names.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 353
yeah the 1501d is a 1500 watt amp from MTX. Its great for the cost. And yes, the bass fills the car and i have been told was heard from almost 1/2 mile away. I have a rattle from the rear window that i cant seem to get rid of. the rear window opens seperate from the rear door so it rattles pretty bad, but i cant hear it from inside the vehicle. I haven't had any problems with my l7's either. i don't know why ppl keep saying they are unreliable. they are intended for spl rather that sq. so if you want something REALLY loud go with the l7's. if you want something that isnt as loud but sounds better then go with the above mentioned. i like to LIVE LOUD!

Post Number: 10
Yeah Luca, my rear window is seporate also..hmm i wonder how i can stop that...but you know when you hear a car rollin up at a stop light and you say to yourself...ok, ok...they got the idea but once they stop right next to you it sounds like sh@t cuz of all the radal and everything...i dont want that....i want it to be DAAAMMM all the way through...James...I got some JL's im lookin into and Ascendant's. Wat ever i do ill tell you guys an ima look for those JL's in see what you guys think...But James with 2 Jl 15's or 4 JL 12's ummm i think 4 one 12 its like 1000-1200 watt peak an the 15's its like round 1200..What amps will support all the watts that is needed to get a good feed back from my subs. (this is just for JL's)

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2677
well are you talking about the 15w3 or 15w0? same for the 12's what series are you reffering to, peak power means absolutely nothing you go by the RMS power.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1058
Oh, and does your back radal like if you put subs in a civic or somthin...im puttin Dynomate all throughout but i just wanted to know if your explorer radals and if so...are you preventing it(how)...

I have a '96 Explorer Sport I just fully sound-deadened. I'm waiting on some stuff from Knokonceptz and haven't had a chance to drop the sytstem back in. Previousy the doors and rear hatch were the only thing dynamatted and I got some serious output with a pair of ported 10w3's @ 250w each w/o a whole lot of internal "radals", but enough to make me want to go further with the sound deadening. Outside the loudest thing rattling is my rear windshield wiper and I'm not sure there's much I can do about that.

I tried it out after sound deadening the roof and did notice a lot more low end extension. I don't know if this is due to more sub 40 Hz output or just attentuation above that from eliminating some upper bass ring that my vibrating roof panels were adding. Regardless, so far I like the way it sounds.

Oh and this stuff is pretty much the same stuff as dynamat:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/category.php?type=damp&cur=USD

and costs a whole lot less.

I'm using the v1se and although I've noticed a few peeling corners the stuff otherwise sticks as well as anything else I've used.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Fishy i think that i mite go that way with the deadened..My friend dynomated his car(Civic ES) and there is not one radal yet. hes had it installed for about a year now. So i dont kno ima check into the deadened. Oh an James im looking at the 15w3's. AN the Rms..yeah i know that the most important but what does it mean for the subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us