Batterys and alternator, worth it to upgrade?

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 232
ok the system i am going to be setting up has two 760w amps now that means at peak power they would be pulling 112amps and around 52amps continus my alt. puts out 37amps but we know the battery can put out around 800-1200amps (give or take) should i upgrade my alt.

now what i have so far learned from these H.O. alternators is they wont really start charching the battery untell 1500 rpms which isnt untell 35 to 40 mph

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3108
yes upgrade your alt, if u dont it wont charge your battery, your battery wont push your system, or anything else, your car will fail

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 331
Your battery can only generate those numbers for a few seconds at a time(starting the car) or it will over heat. Also the battery puts out 12 volts. Most stock alts put out 13.8, and most after market alts put out 14.4 to 15.8. Your alt is too small for even one amp. Your alternator will always be charging your battery if the engine is running. as long as its voltage doesnt drop below 12 volts then it is charging the batt. In your situation i would look at getting something in the 175 amp range. Also, you will want to eventually upgrade your power and ground wires for your alt to battery.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2152
Yes, the guys are right, a HO alt is a must. What the hang are you driving anways? A 37 amp alternator... is it a Go-Kart?

Dat dude
Unregistered guest
how much do HOs usally cost?

Bronze Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 23
$150 to $250 depending on size make and model of car. Most of the ones I have been looking into anyway. That was for a 150 amp alts. 1 may have been 200 amp. There is another thread about this same topic that has links to some good sites for them. https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/133522.html

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 237
wat about a HO alternator 4 an s10 89 model...i need it 2 be able 2 put out at around 200 amps lol

Silver Member
Username: Bdb_86

Bemidji, MN Usa

Post Number: 235
ok with the amps i am getting they should pull 40 to 55 amps continus when i have the stereo cranked this place in my town sells 94 amp alts for $53.00 BUT they tell me that HO alts wont charge your battery untell 1500 rpm which is around 30 to 35 mph. o and i am driving a 1979 GM http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/547269
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us