AVALANCHE 15 - SEALED OR PORTED??? Jonathan/Isaac

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 998
I know this has been asked before however. I dont have a computer program to figure this out. I have heard everything from 1.5-2.5 sealed and everything from 3.5-4.5 ported tuned to 18Hz-24Hz. For sealed the they mention this at

http://www.ascendantaudio.com/Avalanche%2015%20sealed%20enclosure%20recommendati ons.htm

and a .707 alignment, not sure if this is for home audio or car audio. I use to run 2 12w6v2's sealed before and i was happy with the SQ but i whould like to be louder. I listen to mostly RAP gernerally and complex bass patterns. I whould like to maintain SQ while gaining more SPL. I am running this componant set http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/tech_page.php?name=CXS62&type=midrange&id=chamel eon

For the Amplifier I will be using a Orion HCCA 250g4 which will do 800 x 1 @ 1ohm rms. I dont have a graphic EQ but im using a EclipseCD8454 and i dont wanna overshadow my frontstage so whats the best bet?

Sealed or Ported ????? If sealed what size box and if ported what size box and tune please..Thanks alot.

whatthefu(k
Unregistered guest
f@g boy, u ask too much questions and u ask the same question over and over and over ....

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3074
sealed! lol, no ported! lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1002
lol the only F A G is you so go and f$ck yourself.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1003
From all the info ive gathered, i may stay sealed between 2.5-3.0

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3079
i would mo, but the ava can get laoud, id say ported tuned to 29 hrtz

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2140
Mo, just keep it simple and build a sealed box at 2.5 cf. From what James says, the Avy will get louder than you'll ever need, and the 2.5 cf will give you a little more low end than a smaller box. That's exactly what I'm gonna do when I get my Avalanche.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1004
Yeah Joe, you are absolutly right. James has his in 2.5cu ft. This is the dimensions that James gave me 16(H) x 16(W) x 24(w) for 2.5 cu ft.

Subfanatic, with this subwoofer anything over 24hz tuning in a 3.5-4.5 box is not even musical. If you wanna have good sq and spl it is recommended at 3.5-4.5 cu ft tuend to 22hz. Thats only with this sub so dont think im arguing with you. I personally whouldnt tune any sub under 26Hz. Usually 27-30Hz is where i whould stay. But with this sub its differant. You can ask Jonathan to confirm that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1005
bump

Gold Member

Post Number: 1006
Yeah Joe, you are absolutly right. James has his in 2.5cu ft. This is the dimensions that James gave me 16(H) x 16(W) x 24(w) for 2.5 cu ft.

Subfanatic, with this subwoofer anything over 24hz tuning in a 3.5-4.5 box is not even musical. If you wanna have good sq and spl it is recommended at 3.5-4.5 cu ft tuend to 22hz. Thats only with this sub so dont think im arguing with you. I personally whouldnt tune any sub under 26Hz. Usually 27-30Hz is where i whould stay. But with this sub its differant. You can ask Jonathan to confirm that.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3087
lol, ill take your word for it

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2638
Hey MO I have told you before that this sub in a sealed enclosure of 2.5 cu/ft sealed will get so loud that your ears will hurt after a little while of extreme listening. seriously man it is So much louder then the w6v2's there is absolutely no comparison. I think the w6v2 in a sealed box has better SQ but not by much.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2644
I have my 18" in a sealed box. This weekend I might take it out of my trunk and redo the sealing. It'll be super air tight along with polyester stuffing. That should fool the sub into thinking the box had more volume. My trunk isn't that roomy.
Anyone of you guys actually have "air tight" enclosures? From my testing, it makes the subs produce much tighter bass.
It will turn a sub that's free moving into a rock solid speaker once inside the enclosure. I tried pushing the sub with power off, and it refuses to move.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1007
Isaac how did you get it air tight?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1008
Did you guys put polyfill in your boxes or not? I guess it serves the same purpose as polyesther stuffing?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2646
MO I used super glue on the inside of the enclosure (every edge & corners) as well as the speaker terminal connector hole. I also put glue on the screws before driving into the wood. The speaker's frame that contacts the wood is also gets sealing glue. Once that dries up, it becomes super air tight. At first I thought I glued the cone onto the frame by accident cause it wasn't moving at all. However, once power was applied, it responded as usual. The cone movement was very fast, almost like it was spring loaded. It made the drums sound very realistic.
I might put in an air control valve so that can vary the "air seal".

Gold Member

Post Number: 1010
What if your sub blows or somthing..warranty issues?? how whould you take it out if you glued it in that tight.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2648
Well mine is out of warranty, and I use quality amp to drive it. I also know when to lower the volume. :-)
If you just want to test it, use non hardening sealer on the frame and screws. Then if you like the result, replace it with hardening glue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us