100w amp for 10"sub enough?

Username: Lukasz70

Post Number: 1
hi, dont feel like spending money, just wanna use what i have i guess, except for the 10'sub which is the only thing i wanna buy,

here is what i have, an old 2ch kenwood amp maybe 80-100w i think its 100w, would that be enough to power one 10'sub? or even 2:-) lol
OR
right now i have an 8" 100w tube in my back seat lol, what if i swapped out the 8' sub and put it into a proper box with its amp and hooked up a 10" lol would it be better?
i know it sounds ghetto but dont feel like spending $200 for an amp (futureshop.ca)and then 100 for sub,

subs i looked at are also at futureshop.ca
1. Quest QS100 10"=4 Ohms,Power Handling Nominal 125 Watts Power Handling Max 250 Watts
2. MTX RT1004 10"=4 Ohms Power Handling Max200 Watts Power Handling Nominal 200 Watts
3. Rockford Fosgate P110S4 Punch 10"=4 Ohms, Power Handling Nominal 150 Watts , Power Handling Max 300 Watts

OR im thinking of this one
SONY 10" Max Output Power: 650 Watt, Nominal Output Power: 150 Watt

if i do consider getting an amp, it would be this one for like $70 last resort though http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796%26item%3D5768651328% 26

Bronze Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 70
try kicker comps there only 150 rms and only like $50 i don't know if there better than the subs u listed but thats what i would take

Post Number: 2
actually found 2 amps im considering buying,
1. ROCKBOX 1000-Watt Mono Block
Full MOSFET circuitry
Short, overload and thermal protection
Subsonic and low pass filter
RCA line outputs
1 x 500 watts @ 4 ohms, 1 x 1000 watts @ 2 ohms
0-18 dB bass boost

2. ROCKBOX 2-Channel 900 Watt Dynamic Power Amplifier
Variable high/low pass filter
Full MOSFET circuitry
High/low level inputs and RCA line outputs
Short, overload and thermal protection
2 x 225w @ 4 ohms, 2 x 450w @ 2 ohms, 1 x 450w @ 4 ohms
0-18 dB bass boost

mono or 2 channel, with 2 10's:-) also they say they have RCA outputs? does that mean i can run RCA cables out of it to my kenwood amp for just speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2633
Man you are going the wrong way. First of all BackwardShop is a rip off place. Anything electronic they sell is always sold at manufacturer's suggested list price! No company with sane mine does that to consumers. Whatever you do, don't support them and WorstBuys. Same company that bought out BackwardShop.
The amps you're looking at, is worse than your Kenwood (low grade quality) amp.
Don't look at eBay.ca to shop for your subs/amps. Go to eBay.com and look for deals. Lot if not most sellers that only say "US Only" will sell to anyone as long as you're willing to say the actual shipping.
For amps, look for MTX and Audiobahn A8000T or A8002T. They're both priced around $130 US. Even with exchange rate + duty + taxes, it'll end up costing around $200 CDN. Take that amount and look at the amps at any Canadian retail stores. You will find nothing of that quality. BackwardShop's cheaptest amp is Sony's 200w peak amp which is basically 50w rms amp that acts like a heater during winter.
You can also find decent subs for around $60. Order that and purchase the box or build your on to save money.

Post Number: 4
cool thx, i actually already checked out ebay they do range around low 100's cdn plus s/h and duty. im not exactly trying to make a great system, just bored and wanna play around with it at little cost lol,just want some added bass, anything is better then my 8"100w sub lol, those 2 amps listed above are actually very cheap, $99cdn lol thats why,

i know ppl say you get what you pay for,but what would the difference in be sound?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2641
The difference would be bass that you can be proud of or something embarrassing.
Go with the MTX or Audiobahn I mentioned and you won't regret it. The amps you listed will not produce the advertised power and will probably distort/clip and burn out your subs.

Post Number: 5
aslo, would i be able to run a 10' sub off a 100w amp that powers my 8" tube lol, would sound any better then my 8"?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2640
not if its the internal self powered tube. It has a connection to run a slave unit but it can barely power itself let alone another sub.

Post Number: 8
lol, crap, yeah its an all enclosed tube, all i hook up is power and channel, but i would have replaced the 8" with teh 10" but i guess it wont power that lol.

is it possible to maybe link both channels in an amp to use on one sub? i may be asking stupid questions here. sorry lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us