JL 12w3v2-D4 or Mtx 5500. Salesman got me confused!

sub-routine
Unregistered guest
JL 12 w3v2 or MTX 5500?
So i was all set to get the JL and everything.. but the salesman kept pushing me to go for the MTX. He showed me this chart with both driver's T/S properties and pointed out that the MTX beats the JL in X-max and Sd. That didnt really bother me that much until he took the MTX and JL out of the display and compared their construction. He pointed out that the MTX had better cooling tech, reinforced stitching and aluminum cast surround. I know JL makes quality subs..but i have to admit looking at those 2 side by side, the MTX does look like its got more tech in its construction versus the JL.
It looks somewhat sturdier, while the JL looks kinda plain. They're both at the same price too! So if u guys have any experience with these two subs ..lemme know how hard they pound and how good they sound doin it and how good are their construction.
Oh and if it helps i listen to alot of metal, rock and hiphop.

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1240
i'd get the MTX....everyone and there mother has JL audio...

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1616
dont bother with the 5500 series over that jl the jl is an all around better choice when it comes to sq and spl wise well how loud is loud enough i had the jl in a 2.00 cf box sealed before displacements and it hit about 125 db question is how loud is loud enough and as far as sq it was amazing

Username: Skyliner17

Saint Paul, MN United States

Post Number: 8
the jl w3v2 is much better than the mtx 5500 series in my opinion. i've heard both. it has more sq and gets pretty loud. i've heard good things about the Atlas. it'll probably beat both those subs in sq and spl.

sub-routine
Unregistered guest
Wow even moms like JL huh? :-) Must be good!
Sean, how much Watts were u feeding it to get that 125db? I've got a kx400.1, going a 100 or so watts over their RMS wont damage em or anything will it?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 376
if everyone and their mother has JL, theres gotta be a reason, lol.
i'd go with the JL, the reliability of JL product just can't be touched imo. (if installed correctly)
JL is underrated, 100 more watts then RMS shouldn't hurt it, if its clean

sub-routine
Unregistered guest
Sweet.. so i wanna go ported @ 26, can i use JL's specs and just modify the port?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1624
id say it was getting about 400 rms and yes i know that isnt loud for that power but that was sealed using the only box i had built at the time plus my car isnt the best for spl port the box and im sure youll get more spl and just as good sq optimized ported size of course

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3078
sean, im going to build that box tom for my Ti, but sealed at first, then this weekend ill give you deminsions so you can tellme what size pvc and stuff is that cool

Gold Member

Post Number: 1625
sure thing man

Gold Member

Post Number: 1626
looks like my mtx 81000d is toast by the way

sub-routine
Unregistered guest
Hey Sean, whats a good place to tune that single 12w3v2 to? JL recommends 30 hz but i wanna go lower like say.. 26. I like the low bass.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1630
one sec ill check for you

sub-routine
Unregistered guest
cool..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1631
ok your box will be 12.75 wide by 12.75 high by 32 deep internal if you have that much room and your slot port will be 6 inches high by 4.75 wide and your depth of your box is your port depth

so 14.24 x 14.25 x 33.5 external box measurements

Gold Member

Post Number: 1632
youll be port tuned to 26 hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1634
that will be a beautifull sound quality box across the board

sub-routine
Unregistered guest
Awesome. Thanks for the numbers man, really appreciate it.
Later.

sub-routine
Unregistered guest
If i come to any snags i'll hit you up. :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1641
your welcome...no prob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us