RMS power / Max power and right amp

Username: Demko

Post Number: 1
Ok, I was looking at JBL GTO Series GTO1020d sub/s. Rated at 300 rms and 1200max. DVC @ 2ohms. What kind of amp would i need to power just one and what for both. Would i need an amp with about 300rms power for single and 600rms for 2? thx

Silver Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 459
depending on how much you want to spend id go with around 500 rms to each....just make sure your amp is 1000rms x 1 @ 1 ohm for those subs.

Post Number: 2
and an amp like that wouldnt be cheap right? like $500?

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 242
hang on im confused. do u have 2 dvc 2 ohm subs? if so u will need an amp that is .5 ohm or 2 ohm. a 2ohm amp producing around 1000watts will cost u a decent amount of money around 300-400 from ebay. if that is to much try to find a 600 rms amp at 2 ohms. jbl bp600.1 or kicker kx 600.1 will work great for u. this is assuming however that u have 2 dvc 2 ohm subs

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 244
correction i think i messed up i believe the kicker amp is only 600watts at 1 ohm not 2

Post Number: 3
I am just looking for a solid system, and I'm not sure if i should go with 2 okay subs or one decent one, I'm only looking to spend around 300-600 total. I'm looking for low rumble bass, not punchy bass like i have now with a single 10, sealed box.

Post Number: 4
how would a JBL GTO Series GTO1020d Sub (10" DVC @ 2 OHMS) with MTX Audio Thunder421D Mono Amp (210W Mono Class D with 420W RMS at 2 Ohms) sound in a ported box? The total is about $380 with shipping.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 172
why are you going with an amp with more rms than your sub can handle? that will eventually, or immediately, melt your sub coils. usually you want an amp that puts out the same rms as your sub or LESS! forget the max power, rms only matters

Post Number: 5
Hmmm, because i was listening to Rob Fox. Thx for clearing that up

Silver Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 463
db bass your an idiot....i guarantee that 300 watt rms 10" gto sub cant handle 420 watts...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2650
Here's a better theory for getting an amp rated higher than your sub.
Almost all HU will distort round 85% or higher. If your amp matched the sub in power, then you will need to have HU's volume set to max to get max power. Now if your amp was 400w rms, then at 75% on the HU, it will deliver 300w rms to your 300w rms sub. Thus maximizing before distortion/clipping kicked in. A little extra clean power never harms the subs, it's alwyas the distortion/clipping.

Silver Member

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 464
thank you isaac.

Post Number: 6
How do you set the HU power, would it be sub volume? like +/- 15?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us