What hz levels are most sealed boxes?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 138
i have been reading about how important tuning your ported box to the right level for your sub is. i am going to go with a sealed box though, what hz level are sealed box and are they more efficient than a ported box tuned to the right amount?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2902
sealed boxes are tuned to the lowest frequency your sub can go, for example an atlas would be 15 hrtz

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
ok so is that the best or would my system sound better if i ported the sub in a box tuned to something like 28hz? i think i will use a sealed box unless you can convince me that ported is better.

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1536
ill tell you what db you try my suggested ported box on your atlas 12 and im sure youll be happy it will have awesome sq

Gold Member

Post Number: 1537

sean
Gold Member

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 02:54 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if it was me for really nice sq ported id do 3.32 cf and drop the sub in and port the box to 26 hz

sean
Gold Member

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 03:33 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
22 deep x 19.5 wide 13.5 high internal with one 8.75 high x 2.5 wide slot port the the depth of your box is the port depth....external measurements are 23.5 x 21 x 15 using 3/4 mdf board....your port will be tuned to 26 hz

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2548
thats pretty big for an atlas you sure about that sean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1538
yup its ported thats why plus its optimized for an even response

Gold Member

Post Number: 1539
he wont be disappointed

Gold Member

Post Number: 1540
that was using the low q setting

Gold Member

Post Number: 1541
its 1.46 cf. sealed and drop the sub in for optimum according to my program compared to the ported specs

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
wait maybe im not understanding but above you said 3.32 cu.ft. ported which i think is a little big for an Atlas, then in you last post you said 1.46 cf. sealed. i have always heard sealed (esp. for Atlas) sounds better, im afraid if i get a 3.32 cf. ported i will lose the sq.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1542
im just lettting you know your options for sealed and ported 1.46 sealed would be good for you if you wanna stick with sealed then just drop the sub in the box ....using low q setting

Gold Member

Post Number: 1543
the ported box will emphasize the low end more for you if you think you want it like 50 hz and down

Gold Member

Post Number: 1544
but the sub will prob requirte less power in the ported than rated

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 874
What frequencies can i hit with a Avalanche 15 Sealed at 3.0 cu ft. as opposed to ported.

Bronze Member
Username: Redrange

Post Number: 25
Wut would hit harder sealed or ported for atlas?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2908
ported

Gold Member

Post Number: 1549
id say 40 hz and up sealed at 3.00 30 hz and up ported at 23 hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1550
about 3 to 4 db more ported on the low end frequencies

Silver Member

Post Number: 878
? didnt understand that last post..sorry

Gold Member

Post Number: 1551
nice curve on the avalanch 15 by the way

Gold Member

Post Number: 1552
what im saying is youll gain all you had in the sealed box and more ported with no loss...poted will do that much more for it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1553
youd have to move it up to about 25 hz to make things fit box wise with the port accounting for port whistle using a slot port

Silver Member

Post Number: 880
well for ported i came up with 3.5-4.2 cu ft. tuned to 20hz-24hz and sealed 2.5 - 3.5

Gold Member

Post Number: 1554
thats 3.00 cf after displacements for the woofer by the way

Silver Member

Post Number: 881
Im pushing it with the orion 250g4 800rms

Gold Member

Post Number: 1555
those were both pretty close to what mine shows too

Gold Member

Post Number: 1556
they are rated 800 rms right? the ava 15

Silver Member

Post Number: 882
i listen to mostly rap and complex bass with electronic so what do you think with 800watts rms. Sealed or ported and what tune.

Silver Member

Post Number: 883
they are rated 800 rms and are very efficiant even with less power.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1557
ported baby all the way but i love ported i dont agree that sealed aounds better than ported ive had both ported wins ....if you no how and where to tune it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1558
on subs in general i meant.....never had your subs

Silver Member

Post Number: 884
Im running pretty nice componant set up front. Image Dynamics CXS62 at 150rms to each. I was thinking 3.5 tuned to 22hz-24hz for ported whould be nice.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1559
yeah you should be good depth wise with a slot port and should sound very nice

Gold Member

Post Number: 1560
im sure those image dynamics are sweet are you going to compete in sq?

Silver Member

Post Number: 885
No this is for personal use everyday driver. Im looking for overall SQ and SPL mix. Just wasnt sure exactly what a good tune whould be ported.. Alot of people say sealed but what is a good port tune that will be more efficant then sealed and hit all the notes just as good with more efficiancy and depth.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2916
28-35 hrtz prolly

Gold Member

Post Number: 1561
what we discussed is it mo do that

Silver Member

Post Number: 886
28-35 is waAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! to high for the Avalanche kid. Better go back to the drawing board and look for 20-24Hz tops.

Silver Member

Post Number: 887
HEre what one guy posted.
i'd go 4 cubes net tuned to 22hz or so if you want to go ported. My box was 3.5 tuned to 28hz but thats too high of a tune for this sub IMO. From plotting it on many box programs its way too peaky which explains why i had to EQ down 40hz ridiculous amounts lol, and the f3 is like 38hz or something in that box. Slightly larger (4 cubes net) with 22hz tune plots beautifully. But with cabin gain you'll end up with a TON of low end to the point you would need to run some heavy midbass speakers ~60hz hp to blend well. So IMO might as well seal it if you are more interested in music rather than SPL in the deep end. You will get a much better blend into your front stage. And in all honesty 20-35hz in this box (my sealed box) is already REALLY LOUD so for music porting this sub wouldn't do anything for you because you'd have to cut out all your gains in the low end to sound natural.

I am NEVER EVER selling this sub

Gold Member

Post Number: 1562
let me know how it turns out mo

Silver Member

Post Number: 888
why don't you plot it in some box building programs and see the nasty peak from 40hz-50hz and an f3 of like 38hz in a 3.5 cube box tuned to 28hz like mine. I had to drop about 18db at 40hz in my car to get it to sound natural. Low low end was non existent without EQ because 45hz was so loud that i couldn't even hear or feel 30-35hz. With sealed my low end below 40hz is MUCH MUCH better that just goes to show that tune is too high All subs are different, some subs, like say an E12a can go in a small box tuned to say 28hz and still have GOBS of low end. Some subs like the Temptest and Avalanche need to be tuned low if you want anything resembling music in your car.

I own the sub so i should know, i really need to discuss the recommended ported enclosure specs with chad because i think he needs to recommend a lower tune at least 24-25hz. And a tad larger box around 4 cubes.

All the box builder programs i've plotted say 4-4.5 cubes tuned to 18-22hz for the avalanche. All of them recommend sealed over ported for it too.

One thing i will say is the this is one of the loudest subs i've had in a sealed box, VERY efficient and VERY loud for being sealed using way less than 1000w. It has so much low end sealed you'd think it was ported already! It models up extremely close to the brahma, and even more low end than the XXX in the recommended boxes. brahma 15" actually needs an even bigger box for .7 QTC but i like low QTC ~.6 for best possible transient response.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1563
ok ill read that

Silver Member

Post Number: 889
we're not talking about box size we are talking about tuning frequency. I think the fs of the avalanche is 15hz if i'm not mistaken which is the main reason low tuning is necessary. I wouldn't just say this if i hadn't heard it for myself. At first i was like eh
wtf? And then i plotted it on my programs and sure enough, exactly what i heard a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE lump at 45hz i'm talking like HUGE peak and then an f3 of 38hz or something which is ridiculously high considering its ported. My sealed box has an f3 (without cabin gain) of like 32hz.

I've never even considered tuning any sub i've had below 26hz before, normally i tune around 28-30hz. Its only with this sub that i've found it neccessary. i just don't want to see a bunch of people buying avalanches throwing them in these boxes and then being dissappointed with their SQ. I'm trying to help here, not argue.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1564
there you go bud sounds very informed

Gold Member

Post Number: 1565
this someelses opinion still right not you?

Silver Member

Post Number: 890
I think im gonna go ported at 3.5 tuned to 22hz and if i dont like the way it sounds ill cover the port. Simple as that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1566
well you could plan ahead and add poly batting and boost the box and make a port that is temporarily fixed and adjust to the batting change

Gold Member

Post Number: 1567
if you dont like the 3.5 at 22 hz

Silver Member

Post Number: 893
If i dont like 3.5 at 22hz i will seal the box because that same guy that gave me that info is going 3.5 sealed.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1568
read this and youll get a good idea what i mean

http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

Silver Member

Post Number: 894
that is a bad link

Gold Member

Post Number: 1569
copy and paste to a new window

Gold Member

Post Number: 1570
wait a min

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2918
sean, one of my friends said he was an 18 inch ti pro with 2000 watts rms in a SEALED Q logic box hit 152 dbs

Gold Member

Post Number: 1571
http://web.archive.org/web/20020808224043/integra.cyberglobe.net/caraudio/resour ces/fiberfill/

there you go mo

Gold Member

Post Number: 1572
hopefully we will beat him sub lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1573
what class is he in sub?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2919
he wasnt in a comp, just termlabing it at a local place down in florida

Gold Member

Post Number: 1574
ok well dont forget we might do the temporary baffle idea also ok.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 663
Sean...if you dont mind me askin, what program are you using? (bassbox pro?)

Subfanatic,
152dB w/ 1 18 on 2000wrms? I really cant see that happening in a sealed box...but in a ported one, yes. Unless it was Outlaw and on an AC mic that was way out of calibration.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2922
its a 18 inch ti pro dude

Gold Member

Post Number: 1576
probox professional

Gold Member

Post Number: 1577
mmarshal i think the guys at our local shop hit 150s with a pair of 12's sealed alot with those eclipses

Gold Member

Post Number: 1578
hey marshal a pyramid super blue 15 hit 145 lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1579
ported i think ....with 600 rms to it

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3771
Sean, we had this discussion about the Avalanche not too long ago. You're thinking the same thing I did, that low 20s typically aren't needed. After looking at the specs of the sub, you'll see why, though. That sub is designed with a VERY loose suspension and not exactly ideal in a ported box. Funny we thought the same thing :-)

dbbass, sealed boxes aren't exactly "tuned", they have a resonant frequency, though. The system resonant frequency will depends on the box size, but with a typical .707Q, it will resonate in the 50hz region or so, of course this varies by a large amount depending on the subwoofer used.

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
damn i just got on hotmail and had like 62 messages from this thread. so i think i am just going to go with a sealed box. subfanatic said above (way above) that a sealed box for an Atlas would be tuned to like 15hz, with this will the sub be able to hit almost any note and sound good?

Silver Member

Post Number: 896
Hey jonathan so if i stay sealed at 3.0 what freq will i hit in comparision to a ported 3.5 at 22hz????

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
MO you should start your own thread so i dont get a million emails. thanks

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3773
The frequency won't be 15hz, that is the resonant frequency of the subwoofer in free air, the frequency changes when in an enclosure. The resonant frequency of that sub in, say, a 3.5 cu ft enclosure will be around 40hz for that sub. Yes, it will handle the entire sub frequency range very well sealed.

Mo, sealed you will hit closest to the resonant frequency of the cabin due to a flat response above around 40hz. Ported, that will depend on the cabin gain, but you'll likely still hit the loudest higher up due to the low tune of the box. Basically you can expect similar results with both since you'd have a low tuned ported, you'll just get more output down low with a ported box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
ok so just one more question. what do you recommend for a sealed enclosure size. the website has 3 choices and i think im going for the middle size (1.15 cuft). is that a good sealed size or should i go bigger?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3775
Depends on what you want out of it. For a little more SPL and a boomier, punchier response, go smaller. If you want the most bandwidth (drops lowest) and best SQ, go with the largest enclosure.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us