How do you tune a box?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 130
SOon i will be getting a 12" Atlas. the site has a graph that says the sub will be most efficient tuned to 100hz (unless om reading it wrong). how would i tune a box to 100hz. if i buy just a custom box off the net, what do i have to do to it. or do i have to buy a certain specs box?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1515
your reading it wrong bud ....i assume you want sq out of this sub solely?

Silver Member

Post Number: 131
ya mostly sq thanks. if you go to www.ascendantaudio.com and look under TYI info for the 12" atlas, it has a icon for a graph. whats the best hz for sq, and what size box should i look for? thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1516
if it was me for really nice sq ported id do 3.32 cf and drop the sub in and port the box to 26 hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1517
22 deep x 19.5 wide 13.5 high internal with one 8.75 high x 2.5 wide slot port the the depth of your box is the port depth....external measurements are 23.5 x 21 x 15 using 3/4 mdf board....your port will be tuned to 26 hz

Silver Member

Post Number: 132
ok but i thought sealed was quite a bit better for sq, thats what i was planning on. so can only ported boxes be tuned, or how do you tune a sealed box. since i will probably be going with sealed, what size box should i go with. the site either recommends .6 or 1.5 ft3, depending on what you want. i want sq thanks

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2789
the bigger the sealed box the "boomier" it is

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
so have you heard what works best for 12" Atlas, there are three suggestions on the site, i think ill go with 1.5 ft3 its the middle size. am i right about not being able to tune a sealed box? or if you can how do you do it?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2499
sealed enclosures have a tune but you cant change it like you can with ported enclosures. They are tuned to whatever the lowest frequency the sub can hit which in the case of the Avalanche for instance would be 15htz. Remember the bigger the sealed bof the less power you need to reach full excursion.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2833
mr box stikes again

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
ok that makes sense so just two more questions.
should i go with a ported box (tuned to the right hz) or a sealed one? im mostly going for sq.
second, can anyone tell me the best hz to tune a box to for 1 12" Atlas. thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
www.ascendantaudio.com has specs for the best hz tunage (is that a word), but none for best sq. any idea what the specs are. also they have 3 suggested sealed box sizes, i think i am going to go with the medium one, is that ok or i bigger or smaller better. i know the bigger the louder, but does a certain size sound better??

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
how come this thread isnt moving to the top? i need some help damnit. actually im not in a hurry im just bored and trying to write nonsense messages so i can get to gold member status. any suggestions would be appreciated though

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2090
Subfanatic
Gold Member

walton , ky

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 11:06 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the bigger the sealed box the "boomier" it is

Generally the larger the box the more effecient; you don't need to run as many watts.

Making a sealed box has it's pros and cons. A larger box offers a better low-end frequency extension, at the cost of some sound quality, because of a quicker roll off point.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2857
thats what boomier means DUH

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2092
Boomier is pretty vague and can be interpreted differently. Just thought I'd pretend to be Jonathan and explain stuff that you don't.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2860
HAHA sorry, ive been high all day hahahah so things are funner when operok get consfued

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2094
So do you get like super-human typing skills and the ability to not require sleep when your high too? I think you've posted about 600 times in 2 days.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2865
haha, no when im high i love to type and text so i get on here cause its soooooo hard to type lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us