Jonathan confirmation for enclosure Avalanche 15

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 809
Jonathan, for those who wanna go ported on the Avalanche that have smaller amplifiers like 500 watts rms for example. How big should the box be and what should they tune it to?

I came up with 3.5-4.0 tuned to 20-25hz tops.

Now for those who have a bigger amp like 600-800 watts rms it whould be recommanded to stay sealed at 2.5-3.0 cubic feet. Let me know if that sounds legit.

Silver Member

Post Number: 813
let me know..

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3752
Bigger ported boxes typically allow a little more output for the power given, but as far as ported, the box size doesn't have quite as much to do with the power handling of the subwoofer or matching power to it since it's mainly the port being active that controls excursion in that range. Best thing is to focus on getting the response you want from the enclosure.

Sealed for that sub, 2.5 cu ft will be great.

Silver Member

Post Number: 814
thats cool cause im gonna be running it off my jl 500/1 for now in a 2.5 - 3.5 sealed box until i upgrade to the Orion HCCA 250g4 and then ill run it off that. Now i have another project i will be putting toghether and it consists of a Zapco 500m referance series mono class ab amp. It does 538x1@4ohm and 700x1@2ohm. I plan on using that on a 12" ID MAX. First of all let me know what you think about that amp and sub combo? and also what kinda box whould you run with that setup? I listen to mostly rap and some electronica and little rock. If ported let me knwo the size of box and what to tune it to for best results. Good looking out bro...peace

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3758
The 500/1 will work well with that Avalanche setup.

For the ID Max, it screams ported, works best ported or AP. The Zapco 500m will work well with the sub. I'd go ported 2.5 net tuned to 25hz for SQ, if you want a little more SQL then go 2.25 cu ft net tuned to 28hz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 815
Jonathan, so your saying i should stay with the 500/1 all the way with the Avalanche 15 and not spend extra money on the Orion hCCA 250g4? Not so sure how much differance i will hear. Oh and thanks for the ID MAX and Zapco suggestion. I listen to alot of rap/electronic music so i guess 2.25cu tuned to 28Hz looks right.

Silver Member

Post Number: 820
?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3760
I meant that the 500/1 will work fine until you upgrade to the 250G4.

Silver Member

Post Number: 825
Yeah im gonna stay sealed at 2.5 cu ft. and use my 500/1 until i get that 250g4. Any suggestions as far as amplifier crossover settings and what not with the 500/1

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3766
Sealed, just set your LPF. Use 80hz at 24db/oct for a starting point, then you can move up or down as needed. It depends a lot on how powerful your front stage is and their rolloff.

Silver Member

Post Number: 827
My front stage consists of Image Dynamics CXS62 Chamoleon. Im sure your familiar with those. Im running them off a ppi art 300.2. So that is what my front stage is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 841
?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3767
Same as I said above, you can try an 80hz LPF for the subs, 24db/oct, then try crossing the components over around 100hz at 12db/oct for starters. If the speakers aren't low enough, drop those to 80 hz and see if there is improvement. If not, raise the LPF for the sub up to around 100hz.

Silver Member

Post Number: 843
Using the Head Unit or AMp??

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2087
Either one, if your amp is capable of it, then just use the amp's filters.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2846
mr box

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2089
Mr Box?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums