Would I need a Capacitor

Bronze Member
Username: Scottbeckerle

Post Number: 14
I am thinking about getting a w6v2 and running it with a 400-500 watt amp. Not really sure what I will get yet but the question is I already have a 350x4 running my highs right now so would i probably end up needing a capacitor with the adding of another amp or would i be alright. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2367
Scott, what brand/model 4 channel amp do you have? Are you powering front and rear tweeters with it?
If the 4 channel amp is really being used only for the tweeters, then you have some power to spare. Tweeters do not use up lot of current.
When you talk about power numbers, I hope it's not peak but rms. Peak doesn't mean much.
As for a capacitor, it will only help so much. You can't expect it to perform miracles. If your lights dim AFTER you install the new amp, then HO alternator would be a better investment. You can purchase the capacitor anytime.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Well the 4 channel amp i have right now is running my front kicker comp compnents and my rear kenwood 4x10's. Its a kicker amp rated at 90 watts per channel and the amp I am thinking about getting for the JL W6v2 is the 500/1 JL amp. I guess I will just find out once i fire up the system then. I just didnt know if thats to much power being drained from my alternator and what things i could do to help it out. I dont know much about a HO alternator. Is there a good website or should i just go down to the local auto parts place and ask them? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2372
Okay, now it makes sense. On your first post, you said the 4 channel amp was powering the highs. To most, that means tweeters only.
Do you know what your alternator size is? Most stocks are around 60A - 75A. With that, you have just enough for 300W rms amp.
If you're not planning to max out the sub amp, then it'll be fine. If however, you want lot of bass, then HO alternator will be required.
You can go to 4alterstart.com and get a quote for your car. If you don't see the model, just email/call them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thanks alot Isaac
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us