Jonathan, need your help on building a box for Avalanche 15

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 672
I will be running my Avalanche 15 off of my jl 500/1 or my zapco500m referance. In either case i whould like to go ported. I mainly listen to RAP and Electronica music like Chemical Brothers and Others. I whould like the system to work well toghether like front stage and sub lows etc..... My componant set consists of Image Dynamics CXS62 2 ways that do 150rms each. I will be running them off of a ppi art 300.2 . Having said that, what whould be a good freq. to tune the box to if its going in a camry trunk and what size of a box should i be looking at if im running it off a 500/1 amp? Your expertise will be appreciated. Thank you

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2055
MO, ask Chad. I know they like BIG ported boxes, as in 5 - 8 cf, but Chad will be able to tell you everything you want to know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 675
To make life simple, i just got this email from chad. "Thanks for your email. Do you have any idea if you want to go
ported or
sealed? Ported will give you the most output overall with less power,
but
sealed will have a little better SQ. Both will play loud, but the
ported will
definitely have the advantage there. A ported enclosure for the
Avalanche 15
should be 3 to 3.5 cubic feet tuned arond 27 to 30 Hz. A sealed
enclosure
should be 1.5 to 2.5 cubic feet. Your available space for the enclsoure
may
make this decision for you. :-)

Both amplifiers sound like they will do a great job. The
Avalanche
subwoofers get very loud without a ton of power so I think that either
one will
do very well. If you want to keep the drain on your alternator in the
low side,
you might want to stick with the JL 500/1 since it is class D. This is
a much
more efficient type of amplifier than class A/B and will need less
juice from
your battery. I don't know for sure if the PPI is class A/B or not, but
I think
it is."

Now that we know its gonna be smaller then 5-8cf that will be a relief for space issues in cars. So it looks like 3 to 3.5 cubic feet tuned to around 27-30 Hz is the optimum choice here guys.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2060
Well MO, to put is simply, the larger the box, the more your gonna get in the low end frequencies. If you made the box 3.5 cf, it'll play the lower frequencies louder than a smaller box. On the other hand, if you make the box smaller, such as 3 cf, then your gonna have better sq, because of a smoother response curve.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2061
I'm also getting an Avalanche 15" (just try and guess who talked me into it). I already have the amp, Orion HCCA 250 G5.1. I just haven't gotten the darn sub yet. I'm gonna go sealed, because of the improved sq and limited space in my car. I am gonna go for the larger sealed, about 2.5 cf, because I personally love really low stuff, and the louder the low's, the better.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2358
hey MO I think Nick told you exactly what you needed to hear! dude just make the box and install everything and let us know how it sounds because you are questioning everything way to much, and I can tell my boy Nick is getting perturbed with all of your questions that seem to be repeated way to often! Dude the avalanche will sound good no matter what enclosure you run and dont worry about it so much.

Silver Member

Post Number: 677
Im guessing james longo got you into it.lol by the way i have a nice componant set up front (image dynamicCXS62) gonna power that with my ppi art 300.2. I wanna blend my front stage with my lows...you have any other suggestions on what box whould be the better choice in my case.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2064
At what frequency are the ID's gonna pick up? (how low will they go, or how low are are the crossover's set)

Silver Member

Post Number: 679
Voicecoil single 2 ohm
Nominal Impedance (IMP) 2 ohms
DC Resistance (Re) 1.8 ohms
Sensitivity (Spl) 91 dB
Recomended Power 75-150 watts
Frequency Response 45Hz - 25kHz in door

i havent installed them yet but cant wait.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2070
I would say with a good component set you can go with the bigger box and get more low end outta your sub.

Silver Member

Post Number: 680
So sealed or ported..if ported what freq whould be offer the best in my case.?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3697
Freq would be dependant on the results you want to achieve. 30hz is a good frequency with a 15" for all around SQ/SPL, something lower like 25-28hz (look at your resonant frequency, though, don't want to go at or below it) will give more depth and SQ. Chad gave a good recommendation, 3-3.5 is great for a 15" sub. Now you just have to decide how much space you have to fit this thing in there :-) That will affect how big your port area can be.

Silver Member

Post Number: 681
Whats the formula used to determine squarefeet? so i can get the dimensions of my car.

Silver Member

Post Number: 682
btw jonathan, i dont know to much about snail shell enclosures..but how whould they compare to a ported box.? I checked out www.powered4sound.com and apparently they build them.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3702
The formula is L x W x H/1728 (1728 is 12x12x12, so if you divide by that you'll get the cubic footage).

Snail shells are a varient of a transmission line/horn type enclosure. They use a throat, choke, and the port to produce extra output, basically a transmission line that is made smaller via the choke. SQ is good, SPL is great, but they kinda have an iffy reputation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 684
So im probably better of ported. Thanks for the help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 685
this was the last enclosure i had in my car http://www.jlaudio.com/enclosures/CVS212RGW6v2.html and it was 4.23 cubic feet which means i can fit the Avalanche 15 ported no problem at 3.5 cubic feet..

Bronze Member
Username: Loc_out

Post Number: 58
MO make sure to let me know how the avalanche sounds!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us