Need help on working out wiring for more bass!

Username: Big_l

Post Number: 1
poor student seeks more bass from his car audio system, all the other kids laugh at me b/c i can't work out how to beef up my system...
6ch amp, running 6x9s front components and two 10" (4ohm) subs, it sounds much louder and bassier when just one sub is rigged up and bridged,

Is there any way i can run the other sub and have them both as loud as being bridged, like through wiring or something or do i need to get another amp?

Wiring diagrams would be helpful as i am just a 17yr old kid, cheers guys - Lou from surrey England

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1420
no way with what you have.
either get a mono amp for the two subs, or get two 2 Ohm subs.
that's the only way to increase SPL with what you have.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1421
oh, or, you could put the front and rear speakers together on one pair of channels, then bridge two channels to each sub..
that'd do the trick with what you have, but you lose the ability to fade front to rear.

Bronze Member
Username: Tbone

Post Number: 14
Are you sure that the two subs are correctly wired? If by chance you have one of the subs wired up backwards (negative to positive), they will cancel each other out, not totally, but enough to make you think that you should be getting more bass.

Post Number: 2
pretty sure, so maybe just sort out another amp to run the other sub?

glasswolf - the JBLGTO6000 has a sub input, the six channels are not all the same power output, i tried wiring the 6x9s up to the sub terminals on the amp and then bridging each sub off the front and rear speaker terminals but not a large improvement, thanks for your feedback so far guys - all legends!!

Post Number: 3
will running the 4ohm subs @ 2ohm damage them?

Username: Spittin2rock

Post Number: 1
nope it might make you amp overload and it will shut off and the protection light will come on.

Anthony77
Unregistered guest
What is the best way to wire a 4-channel amp for two 12inch MA Audio subs so that it wont cutt out and still hit hard?

Silver Member

OK United States

Post Number: 212
Bridge the four channel into two, and hook a sub onto each one, that is if the sub has one four ohm voicecoil.

Anthony77
Unregistered guest
thanks TBone!! This is how I found out to hook them up and it seems to work good. I got a spliter for RCA's and hooked up all four channles. I then Ran the + of channel 1 and the - of channel 3 to one sub.. I then Ran the + of 2 and the - of 4 to the other sub.. This made it hit alot harder.Im not sure if thats what you were saying or not?? If it isn't then will you describe how you meen?? But Now I have one sub that makes kinda a wierd sound. It is not a blown sound but I dont know how to describe it. Thanks for your advice!! I appreciate it!!

Anthony77
Unregistered guest
hey TBone my subs are daul voice coil, 4 ohms each, with a 700w max. and they are 350 RMS!so if you knwo the ohms with that hook up then thanks!

Silver Member

OK United States

Post Number: 225
If you wire the two coils on each sub in parallel, then you have a two ohm load per sub. This is good way to maximize a amp's power by hooking 1 sub/1 channel on a two channel amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us