Amp works until I pull key from ignition

Unregistered guest
My amp works fine until I pull the key from the ignition. I turned off ignition and pulled key and came back and the amp and all my speakers were off. I am using high level inputs for now and I can disconnect there from the amp and subs start working again. As long as I don't pull the key it is ok. Any ideas?!?! Just installed but all connections seem great.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 283

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2042
That's what I was gonna say Mark, lol.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2043
Terry, maybe it's because when you take the key out, all power is shut off in the car?

TerryNixon
Unregistered guest
lol..I can see how you took that the wrong way..sorry should have been more specific I was in another post. When I REINSERT the key and start the radio/car etc. The amp is dead unless I unplug/plug back in the hi-level input line.

TerryNixon
Unregistered guest
To sum up. Amp works fine after install. I turned off iginition, came back later, started iginition, No sound. If I unplug and plug back in the hi-level input my speakers and subs come back to life. I noticed someone else with a GM car had similar problems but nobody posted a resolution. I'm afraid the only way around it is to change my HU, but I like the factory unit.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2047
Yeah, that makes more sense, haha.

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 144
umm are you grounded properally and is your remote turn on in the right cable. You could run it on a switch..

TerryNixon
Unregistered guest
I new at this so sorry for the questions but I think its grounded ok. It wouldn't work at all if grounded improperly, right? And by me unplugging/plugging in the inputs makes it work is odd to me.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2048
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense. It shouldn't be a grounding issue or something like that. It's like it needs to be reset or something. Weird.

TerryNixon
Unregistered guest
I saw another post from someone with the same problem on a 2003 cavalier. But there wasn't a resolution to it so no help there. Someone mentioned my remote wire. I think I have it on a good fuse because my amp turns off when the ignition is turned off. Could it still be that?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 957
Does that amp have one of those deals where it turns on whenever it senses a signal from your h/u?

If you do, that might be the problem. You could try running a remote wire to a switched voltage source(IGN on your fusebox maybe? or a power antenna lead if you have one and could find it) or just use a switch and hook the remote directly to +12V.

Glass, Jonathan?

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 146
yeah thats what i was thinking. A switch should fix it, but if you have the remote wire coming on with the accessories then you should keep that one so your battery won't ever die if you leave the switch on.

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 40
I am not 100% sure, but check your head unit schematics. The head unit and/or wiring harness probably has a common ground (between the speakers - and the gound for the head unit).

If this is true, then your amp will not turn on until you prpperly ground the speaker hi input terminals.

Try to install a separate HU with separate wires (not using any of the wiring from your car). I'm talkking about power wire, ground, backup lead, speaker wires, (front & rear), run separate RCA to your amp, etc.

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 41
Some high end GM vehicles such as cadilacs have a feature that allows the stereo to remain on, even after the key has been removed from the ignition. The stereo turns off, when the car door opens. This power-up remains in effect in tandem with the power antennae.

TerryNixon
Unregistered guest
My radio does stay on after the key is removed and turns off when the doors are opened.

When I spliced the two rear speakers there was another wire that (according to the amp instructions) was supposed to be a common ground wire between the speakers, so I just tied that into the main ground wire from the amp, that should be ok. But I may not have a good ground from it, that would explain why unplugging/plugging in fixes it.

I really am leaning away from it being the rem wire because I'm pretty sure there isn't a power antenna lead, my antenna is built into the rear window and the radio is factory so I don't think they would have included a wire for one. And my amp now powers on and off with the key since I have it on the sunroof fuse.

Its almost daylight so I'll try some things out and let you know what it is for future reference.

TerryNixon
Unregistered guest
PROBLEM SOLVED! The hi-level input adapter has 5 wires 2 for each speaker and one that is a common ground, well I know some basics about electronics and I figured if it had a ground wire it needed to be grounded, but with the wire grounded the amp would not turn on properly so I unplugged it, tied it off and stuffed it under the carpet. Amp sounds great now! Thanks for all the ideas you guys are great!

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 967
Lol, thats great, but what do you mean when you say "my amp now powers on and off with the key since I have it on the sunroof fuse"?

Connecting a remote wire like that would be fine, but I wouldn't think having your amp's power wire running to the the fuse box would be such a hot idea, unless its fairly low power with minimal current draw.

However, I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke don't fix it" so maybe you should leave everything the way it is.

:P

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us