Sadddd day....

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 122
i got my whole setup installed and it worked ok. Today i was drivin and the speakers shut off. So i went to the shop and i found out they were blown.
so then i talk to the guy about my orion amp for my 15" x.x.x. cuz it was shuttin off. he said its a internal problem cuz it was making a weird sound too. and then he told me i shouldnt run a sub at 1 ohm. he says minimum of 2 ohms to run a sub. i thought runnin a sub off a 1 ohm stable amp would be fine?? then he told me since my sub is a dual 2 ohm sub, to get an amp thats a 2 channel and bridge it. so any ideas of what i should do? i guess i have to get some more speakers that are 5x7, preferably not jl audio. anyone heard the MA Audio HK57C's? i bought the amp and speakers of onlinecarstereo.com so ill try to get a credit there. but can someone give me some suggestions. thanks a lot

Silver Member
Username: Mr_kebo

Albertville, Al USA

Post Number: 204
Running your sub to a 1ohm stable amp at 1 ohm is fine.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 123
so do u think i should just return my orion 1200d amp and get a new one, its a daily driver, i dunno if that matters.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7603
you can run 1 ohm without any problem if the amp is rated for 1 ohm operation. running at 1 ohm incraeses THD, and decreases damping somewhat, but it shouldn't be a concern nor should you really notice with subs.

While running a bridged 2 channel amp is a nice idea I run two triple X 12" subs on dedicated bridged amps myself) it's a very expensive way to go usually as most two channel amps are class-AB, and ones that put out over 1Kw bridged don't come cheap. I use two Orion 2250SX amps that retailed for $1250 wach new. Zapco makes some bridgeable two channel amps now as do a couple other companies like USamps. BOSS makes some but all of theirs pretty much suck compared to using a good class D monoblock 1 ohm stable amp.
a Hifonics Brutus Bx1500D would be another option for a 1 ohm stable amp. it's rated for 1500wRMS @ 1 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7604
and yes I'd get the Orion replaced or repaired under warranty too.

Silver Member

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 124
ok ill try to have them replace the broken stuff

thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us