Wat kind of box should i build

Bronze Member
Username: Volfenhag1200

Post Number: 19
Alright I have a sealed box for my subs. But I wanted to build something better. I have 2 Volfenhag 1200 watt subs. Any suggestions?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2095
go with a ported box

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1281
yeah what kind of vehicle is this going in?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1282
also what amp are you hooking up to them please give power rating as well as brand name and model number

Gold Member

Post Number: 1283
this is going to be the volfenhag 4715 15 inch subwoofer i would assume

Gold Member

Post Number: 1284
actually so far it looks like this sub is suited for a sealed box

Gold Member

Post Number: 1285
if you want more low end do sealed a 2 cubic feet before displacement of the subwoofer id assume its .20 cf for those subs because the magnets are decent size so total internal box volume would be 2.20 cf sealed....if you want more upper end bass do a 3.00 cf box ported to 34 hz plus .20 cubic feet for displacement of the subwoofer for a total of 3.20 cubic feet internal air space your port would be two 4 inch pvc tubing ports inner diameter 16.5 inches deep

Gold Member

Post Number: 1286
i was wrong skip the sealed all together my program was messing up

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2110
sean, since your on this post, could you please help me, im totally lost, and today i want to expieriment around with a box, could you please give me dimensions for a 3 cubic foot box including the ofset because of the magnet of the 15 eclipse TI, can you please help just throw together some quick stuff, and iw ant to port it to 28 hrtz any chance you can just give me a diagram real quick lol with paint with alldimensions lol

Bronze Member
Username: Mcazayoux

New roads, La United states

Post Number: 11
hey sean do u have any suggestions as to an amplifier i can run 2 kicker12"L7s?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2111
and i have 1 and a half inch thich pvc pipe, maybe i could use a few of those as ports?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1287
if you wanna go a tad higher in spl you can do a 36 hz tune in the 3.00 plus .20 box at 36 hz with two 4 inch ports at 14.5 inches deep

Gold Member

Post Number: 1288
sub you want the kitchen sink too lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1289
if you want my honest opinion on the kicker l7 12s id say do one l7 12 and a good 800 watts rms and youll be better of in the charging department for your alternator and you can use more room for box and make up the spl lost for the second 12

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2115
yea sean, im really lost now

Gold Member

Post Number: 1290
ok heres one for you 2.02 cf rear chamber 2.23 front chamber 12.75 inch deep port 4 inches inner diameter (front chamber) this is a bandpass box for 1 l7 12 kicker and more than likely will be very loud with as little as 400 rms power from an amp this is using the dual 4 ohm version a you could do a mtx amp class d like the 6500 d mono block or newer models for this sub for 800 rms to the sub at 2 ohm load bridged....it will hit nasty loud in this box

Gold Member

Post Number: 1291
you will need a subsonic filter on this as well

Gold Member

Post Number: 1292
you will need a subsonic filter on this as well probably a 30 hz subsonic filter

Gold Member

Post Number: 1293
make sure you account for subwoofer displacement and a tad for port

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
i have a volfenhag 2000 watt 2 channel brigeable amp the zx-8400 model. it is powering 2 600 watt rms volfenhag 15" subs. i have them wired in a parallel series and are bridged at 4 ohm. the amp has a 100 hz subsonic filter. i dont know if that will help any but if you have any more suggestions it would be greatly appreciated

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
oh and its going in a 93 mustang hatchback

Gold Member

Post Number: 1294
can you take measurement of how much room you have where they are going because with these 15s room makes all the difference

Gold Member

Post Number: 1296
right now 1.75 cubic feet per 15 plus displacement looks good ported at 37 hz you should get a nice bump in the 60 to 65 hz region

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2130
sean, can you help me out lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1297
correction on the kicker l7 port its 11.61 inches deep 4 inches round inner diameter

Gold Member

Post Number: 1299
ok
whats sub you got and what are the specs? what power are you going to run to it?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2132
the 15 inch Eclipse TI, and im powering it with a jbl1200.1 with 1200 watts rms lol, i want to do ported, and glass said that it would be best with a 3 cubic feet tuned to 28 hrtz, but i cant figure out ports or anything and i have 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe to work with. im just so lost on the whole thing, i cant figure out displacement or anything lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1300
ok im looking it up

Gold Member

Post Number: 1301
is this the 9152 eclipse subwoofer dual 4 ohm?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2138
yes thats it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1302
ok i got the specs for it...it looks like glass already figured out the sub displacement if the sub has a big magnet and basket the ports will be 3.5 inch ports inner diameter there will be two of them 22 inches deep.......let me know the demensions we got to work with

Gold Member

Post Number: 1303
this will be an sq box at 3.00 cf tuned there but youll shine at the low end im sure

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2146
it can be 22 inches deep, 18 inches tall and 34 wide, those are maxiumum i WANT to work with, hard to toy with a little more than that though

Gold Member

Post Number: 1304
ok got it we need a 3.63 cubic foot box tuned to 29 hz with those specs let me run them

Gold Member

Post Number: 1305
15.5 tall 20.5 deep 19.75 wide 3.63 cubic feet plus 1.5 inches on each of those measurements with two 3.5 inch ports 16 inches deep tuned at 29 hz

Gold Member

Post Number: 1306
your gonnna have to port the box on the side

Gold Member

Post Number: 1307
your right on the border line for port whistle with the 1200 watts of power

Gold Member

Post Number: 1308
hope you got 18.5 inches of height clearance

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
hey sean, about the L7s again can u put that in some "shorter" words, im pretty new 2 the specs

Gold Member

Post Number: 1309
ok heres one for you 2.02 cf rear chamber 2.23 front chamber 11.61 inch deep port 4 inches inner diameter (front chamber) this is a bandpass box for 1 l7 12 kicker and more than likely will be very loud with as little as 400 rms power from an amp this is using the dual 4 ohm version a you could do a mtx amp class d like the 6500 d mono block or newer models for this sub for 800 rms to the sub at 2 ohm load bridged....it will hit nasty loud in this box ....in all honesty over 400 rms watts your probably going to have some port noise but the box will bang reguardless at that amount of clean power id prob go a shade over say 500 rms all while being easy on the alternator

Gold Member

Post Number: 1310
you just port the front chamber not the rear

Gold Member

Post Number: 1311
to figure out cubic feet you multiply length times width times height and then divide that by 1728 and youll find your cubic feet but remember that is internal space not including wood thickness or the space the woofer takes up or your ports if you have any

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
thanx i appreciate that

Gold Member

Post Number: 1312
yw

Gold Member

Walton, Ky