Hey Glass?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2308
do you know exactly what year DEI took over Orion? The way I remember it was after the production of the HCCA g4 line. I know the g5 line was after the take over but you are the orion man so can you shed some light onto this for me:-) also the 2250sx is 1000 watts at 4ohms correct? How much better is this amp the the HCCA g4 line? My sub is 1-avalanche 15 that is 800rms but people have run 1500rms to it without any problems. I was thinking about doing the 2250sx bridged at 4ohms what do you think this would bennefit better over the HCCA 250g4 that is 800x1 @ 1ohm. My sub is dual 2ohms so I can run it at 4 or 1. I am running it off of a ppi a600 now and it sounds terrific but I think the extra power will give me the volume I am looking for at a lower volume. thanks man.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1988
Yeah, I'd kinda like to know too. Did Orion even make the HCCA amps after the DEI buyout? What year was the buyout? You wouldn't think product quality would immediately drop once Directed took over. Are all the HCCA amps great?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1989
The other thing I don't get, is why Orion took a drop when DEI took over. DEI owns a/d/s right? Has their quality dropped too?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2345
From what I know, 250G4 were still made in the US so that model is safe. The G5's came out after the DEI buyout and produced else where. In fact if you look at the amp, it'll tell you. All my G4 amps have handcrafted and designed in USA.
This is why I never recommend G5 amps, nor current PPI series.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1991
Well, the only reason I wondered is because that Ron guy that I bought the amp from said it was a GS, but it's not. Made me a little angry. You can clearly read on the bottom sticker that it's a G5. On the side of the amp, it does say made in the USA though, so what's the deal? And do you know what year DEI bought-out Orion?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2351
The first generation of G5 is suppose to be US made. After that, DEI shipped it to else where.
And you know that manufacturers can't lie about the product's county of origin.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1992
Yeah, that's what I was mainly concerned about. I thought there were different versions of the G5, the G5.1 and the G5.2. I think remember Jon or glass or somebody saying the only good G5's were the G5.1. Could be wrong though. Maybe they call the G5.1 the GS. Who knows?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7572
I don't recall exactly when DEI took over and started overseas production since I stopped dealing in Orion around 1995 when I had medical issues to deal with but it was shortly thereafter I believe. I could check and get the actual date.
Orion, along with PPI and Rockford Fosgate were all founded by the same three people and were all US based companies with production done in the US. RF is the only one of the three still made in the US. DEI, after purchasing PPI and Orion, moved production to overseas for cheaper labor and combined, shared production plants which is why companies like a/d/s PPI and orion are all very much the same now, along with DEI's own brand name amplifiers and speakers.
I liked the older Orion stuff because I knew the Tempe, AZ facility where it was all made. The amps were all hand assembled and tuned, and a lot of care was put into the products.
As for the HCCA and SX lines, neither is really better than the other. They were made for different purposes. same casings, similar materials (all milspec) used in construction.
The SX line was the digital reference line (originally) and designed to sell as the high power amps made for high end systems. The HCCA line was designed for competition use at low impedance loads. The GX line was a lower cost alternative to the SX line prior to the Cobalt line introduction. GX amps still used milspec internals so they were still considered higher end amps, whereas the cobalt amps are economy models using less expensive internals. The GS line of amps were the gold plated ones used for show cars. they were hand tuned to <1% tolerances and could be ordered with the owner's name inscribed on the amplifiers. The GS line was basically a tweaked version of the SX amplifiers with a gold plated casing and steeper price tag.

the SX, GX, and GS lines are all 2 ohm stable stere, 4 ohm stable bridged. The SX and GS amps have internal bridging, whereas the GX line requires a 400BDG bridging module if you want to use the amps in mono mode.
The 225hcca is half-ohm stereo stable, 1 ohm bridged. internally bridgeable as are all HCCA amps.
the 250, 425, and 2100hcca are all 1 ohm stable stereo, 2 ohm bridged.

while the need for the 400bsg sounds annoying, it's actually quite an ingeneous little module when you see it. it allows you to run one DIN cable into the device, and get summed mono output from one DIN connection, mixed mono from a second DIN out, and Left and Right mono from a third and fourth DIN output, so if you wanted to run, say, a left channel sub, and right channel sub from a single DIN connection, this let ya do it, and still maintain the 15 volt balanced DIN signal path which was offered with every amp line but the cobalt series.

If you want to run a sub with a big Orion amp, it'll depend on the load the sub presents as to which amp to choose.
the 2250SX puts out 1Kw @ 4 ohms bridged @ 12VDC, or 1280 watts @ 14.4VDC
The 2100HCCA will deliver 800 watts RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms bridged.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2319
so what do you think of the new ADS 346cs component set? I heard it in a vehicle and it sounded fantastic. It didnt sound like ADS took a hit when they got taken over by DEI but I could be wrong. I have the Older Boston Pro 5.25 comp set and I liked the ADS set better I think it sounded much more natural then the bostons. well let me know what you think about them Glass if you have any expierence with them at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2357
Have you tried them inside an air tight enclosure? It sure makes a difference in songs with fast drums.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7582
speakers are subjective. if you like how they sound, that's what matters.

Orion was purchased by DEI in 2002. the G4 series was the last of the USA-made products.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2011
Yeah, somebody else just told me that on a diff. forum. How can the one I have be a G5 and still say it was made in the US then?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2343
I think orion came out with the g5 after the g4 right before they were bought out by DEI, then DEI wanted to keep the line going and came out with their own line after they bought the good Orion company which is crap but if yours says USA made then you prob got one of the ones that the good orion made:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2362
Smoe, you purchased the 1st generation of G5 that were made in US. The rest got produced else were.
Remember, just cause a company gets bought out, doesn't mean all the production stops instantly. It takes time. That is why you will find some G5 made in US, while most will say other countries.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2022
Yeah, that's what I kinda figured in the first place.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us