WHICH 12" SUBS TO RUN IN MY TRUCK

Username: Inflex01

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I am trying to figure out which of 3 to run in my truck, i have a 2003 2500hd crew cab. I have been to many shops and they all say something different. some say i can fit 2 12"s some say 3. here is my question i have limited air space. I have been told to go with the jl audio 12"w1v2. they just came out, how are they against the new pioneer 12" ts-sw124d, or against the new arc audio subs. I have 3 10's now and it sounds terrible im ripping them out and going with the sound of 12s but how many which ones and what amps is my concern please someone guide me with some form of expertise. Thanks in advance

Username: Mad_at_madd

Chico, CA USA

Post Number: 7
I would recommend two 12" JL audio W3v2's they have a 300watt RMS/600 watt peak and a require about 1.25 cubic feet of air space each in a sealed box (which is the same for the W1v2's). If my friend could fit 2 Kicker comp VR's under the seat of his chevy 2500 extended cab you should be able to tuck the JL W3v2's under your back seat.

However, the w1v2's could be ran off of a 300 watt RMS amp. prefectly, where as the w3v2's would require an amp with roughly a 900 watt RMS.

A sealed box produces a sound level about 3dB's less than a vented box but requires less room and the subs. will live longer.

Both setups, depending on the brand of amp you buy, are going to sound really good SQ wise. However the general rule of thumb is if you double the power of the amp. you generally gain 3dB's. This would mean the W3v2's would be roughly 3 to 4.5dB's louder.

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA USA

Post Number: 2
I cant run anything under the seats of my 2500. the extended cab doesnt have any braces under the seats the crew cab does the only place they can go is behind the seats, and I have been told I cant fit anything but the choices i listed. I would rather go with the w3v2 but everyone at the shops i have been to say they wont fit.please advise

Bronze Member
Username: Mad_at_madd

Chico, CA USA

Post Number: 18
OK, both the W3v2 and the W1v2 require the same amount of cubic feet of air space in a sealed enclosure (roughly 1.25 cubic feet). However the mounting depth of the W1v2 is 5.09 inches and the mounting depth of the W3v2 is 6.56 inches. However the box is obviously going to need to be deeper than that, so the guys at the shop are prolly correct.

There is always the two extreme options of porting the cab of your truck or removing the rear bench seat and fabricating a custom mounting structure to mount the seat to the frame and eliminate the braces that are in your way. I personally, for the money and the hassle of doing all of the work, would just go with two W1v2's.

If you do decide to port the cab you will need subs that are made to be run is a bandpass box, b/c basically you are cutting a hole through the front wall of your cargo box and the rear wall of your cab. Your speakers will be in a "fourth order" box in the bed with a large pipe coming out of the box and going through the hole you cut into your cab. This option is normally reserved for people who are intending on making a high SPL system not for people who are wanting a system that produces a comfortable listening level in a daily driver. Also, this option will have a negative effect on the SQ of the subs.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 285
2 12" Atlas would fit. They have a mounting depth of less than 7" You could sun them both in sealed chambes with about 1.5^3 and they would sound excellent. Ask JW about the Atlas 12". Also, the subs only need like 250 watts of power. I'm planning on throwing one under the seat of my 02 Silverado Ext Cab.

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA USA

Post Number: 3
I appreciate everyones responses, thank you. has anyone heard the new pioneers or arc audio's?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us