Interesting question

Bronze Member
Username: Thenoose

Post Number: 37
I put my alpine type r in a 1.20 cubic foot bandpass box and it sounded like crap at first compared to a sealed box so i messed with my amp and i put on my "subsonic filter" and it made all the difference my sub is freaking pounding and it sounds awesome my question is wat does a subsonic filter actually do i have it at 50 hz also wat does a phaze shift do thanks sooo much for ur help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
any help would be great thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
any help would be great thanks

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 241
It's for a deeper response. Generally you want your sub to be lower than 80hz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
thanks and wat does the phase shift do???

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 250
Is your amp a 4 channel?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2291
Nick Price, if your subsonic filer is set at 50Hz, then you're missing out a lot of low bass. Most rap has bass somewhere between 50Hz - 60Hz. So if that is the kind of music you listen to then it'll sound loud in a bandpass box.
However, there are a lot of songs with 50Hz or lower bass. By having subsonic filter at 50Hz, you've basically eliminated all of those low bass.
The purpose of sub sonic filter is to get rid of unwanted excessive cone movement. They usually occur around 20Hz or lower. You can set it as high as 25Hz without really losing out on the low end of audible bass.
You might want to invest in a different box design.

Bronze Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 74
damn, I had that wrong. Mine was set at 50hz. Didnt know what it did. Ill set it right now, haha. Thx

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7547
in ported and bandpass enclosures, you need to set a subsonic filter to jsut below the frequency to which the box's port is tuned, to prevent loss of damping and over-excursion of the driver.
phase shift adjusts the phase of the sub in case you fire your sub in the opposite direction of the other speakers, to keep phase intact.
more on phase can be found on www.bcae1.com

basically sound is a sine wave. if one speaker is out of phase, it's sinewave output is 180 degrees out of sync, and the waves will cancel each other resulting in a loss of sound.
flip the phase switch. if it sounds better one way, leave it that way.

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 469
glass, if my amp doesnt have a phase switch, and i think my sub may be out of phase with my fronts, can i just swtich the positive and negative wires of the sub at the amp or will i mess something up?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7558
nope
same result
go for it

craig's
Unregistered guest
Hmm.. whats the best freq. to tune a ported with, if the lowest my sub can go is 26hz?
Can i tune it to anything lower than 26hz or do i have to stay above it? I wanna tune it to 20hz..dunno if i shuld tho.. :-)
Also, my kicker's subsonic filter is @25hz, is it safe to be loud without the filter turned on?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us