How do I know if I have a dual voice coil sub?

Username: Vwgn

Post Number: 5
like it says in title...?

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 407
Dual voice coil or DVC is when you have 2 sets of + and -. I think if you just have one hooked up you will have it at 2 ohms and 8 ohms if you have both hooked up. Single voice coil or SVC is one set of + and -, usually it will be 4 ohms but it depends.

BasslessGuy
Unregistered guest
A DVC would have: 2 positive terminals and 2 negative terminals.
An SVC would have : 1 positive terminal and 1 negative terminal.
(Terminal: Is the metal point/s on the sub where u hook up ur speaker wires from the car)

Post Number: 6
is dvc better in any way?....i want to bridge my 2 channel amp to 170rmsx1 @ 4 0hms if i do that will this sub not work sound right? does the sub need to be 4 ohms too? or can it be 2 ohms as in one set of terminals hooked up as mentioned above? what about 8 ohms with the amp bridged to 4 0hms? pros/cons?...thanks

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 103
I dont think dvc is necessarily better it just adds wiring flexibility. If you are wanting one sub you need either a single 4 ohm voice coil or a dual 2 ohm voice coil. Both will give your amp a 4 ohm load.

Post Number: 7
so i cant use this sub with my amp bridged? at all?

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
what sub is it and is it single or dual voice coil, if its dual is it dual 2 ohm or dual 4 ohm?

Post Number: 8
jl w4 dual 4 0hm vc

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
I dont think you will be able to use that sub with that amp b/c a single dual 4 ohm voice coil sub can be wired for 2 or 8 ohms and your amp is probably only stable down to 4 ohms in bridged mode and i dont think the sub would get anough power at 8 ohms if you could even do that???

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
But then again i dont know half as much about that stuff as a lot of other people in this forum so maybe one of them can correct me if im wrong?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 340
Both VCs on a DVC sub must ALWAYS be hooked up or you can damage the sub. What make/model is your amp?

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1167
his amps stable at 4 ohms bridged, his sub is dvc 4 ohm....he's gonna have to wire each voice coil to its own channel...best possible way for him to get it to work...end of thread
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us