Is combing different sized subs a good idea?

Anonymous

I have 3 audiobahn 10's and i was thinking of getting two 12's but i heard that this is'nt a good idea. My friend said that they will cancel each other out is this true?

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 209
They won't sound that great together. I myself don't even like putting 2 of the same subs together.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 248
it won't sound good at all unless its tuned perfectly to go together. i'm with you david, always been a fan of a single sub

Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 10
They will not cancel out for sure.

When using two or more speakers that are the same brand, size, shape, and specifications, there are a few things to take in concideration:

Although you may recieve specifications from the manufacturer that your particular model has the specifications enclosed in the box, you will be lucky to get two identical perfectly matching drivers.

Why?

The cone weight will almost never be the same. The voice coil inductance (Le) will almost never be the same. The magnet will almost never have the same force.

All these things will change the way your driver behaves. Therefore two drivers will almost never behave the same when used together.

How much???????????

ha ha ha probably .5% or less

Personally I wouldn'y worry too much about that. If you want a perfect or as close to perfect system, then you will have to remeasure your drivers separately.

Then make modifications to your drivers i.e; add weight to the lesser driver, and other miniscule retrofits. Too complicated to explain this process here.

Anyways, to make a long story longer. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The diference is too small, and you will almost never be able to tell.

Bronze Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 11
Take for instance the Dynaudio Temptation or the Dynaudio Master. They each have multiple drivers being used for the same function, and no audible problems.

Upload

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 888
2 10's and 2 12's playing at the same frequencies has the potential to sound like complete @$$, but hey, they're Audiobahns. May not even notice a difference.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 16
Ha Ha Ha

Are you kidin me???????

When you have a 3 way with a crossover;

Do you think that the woofer is going to stop at the crossover point and play no further higher frequencies?

What about the mid is it going to not play any frequency below or about its bandpass crossover?

Get my point?

Just because one driver is playing at a different SPL level compared to the other one, doesn't mean that they will sound bad together.

Also just because on will hit harder at 60 Hz and the other at 50 Hz, doesn't mean they will sound bad together.

Test it for yourself;

Listen to a duet or a Choir. Some people have higher efficiency vocal chords than the person singing next to them. While others may have a different tone. As a matter of fact that's what makes duets so beautiful. The contrast between the two.

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 893
No speaker in existence can reproduce dynamics realistically; but we try to reproduce it as closely as we possibly can.

Transparency is largely a product of the ability of the cone to react speedily to the signal -- so speed is of great importance. Cohesiveness is what one gets when one uses a single driver instead of multiple drivers -- there is a "wholeness" to the reproduction that is very difficult to put into words.

This cohesiveness is both the result of not having multiple radiating sources with all the inherent wave interference problems, and not having multiple drivers with unmatched tonalities. Matching the tonality of any 2 or 3 or 4 drivers of different sizes is quite an impossible task, it is like having you and me, both of us, sing middle C, and hoping that we sound identical -- and we will not.

Portrayal of detail is again, I believe, a consequence of speed and transparency, and this is essential for filling in the finer nuances of a performance.

from here:

http://www.dagogo.com/RethmInterview.html

The "perfect" loudspeaker would utilize only one driver, but in the real world and especially in the mobile audio enviroment this simply isn't practical so we have to put up with the limitations of using more than one driver. The whole purpose of a crossover is to separate, yet meld unlike drivers with different phase and tonality characteristics. Adding unlike drivers playing at like frequencies only compounds the situation as anyone who's spent hours attempting to find the "best" midbass, mid, and tweeter locations to can attest. Placement of a single full range factory speaker is quite a simple endeavor in comparison, but with multi driver sets imaging, tonal, phase and directivity issues raise their ugly heads in the neighborhood of the exact crossover frequencies you describe.

The goal of most "great" acoustic transducer systems is to reproduce the original recording as faithfully as possible. Anything that alters or changes this, like an added set of vocal chords, may sound "allright", but will reduce sonic accuracy and is therefore something the typical audiophile would want to avoid.

No, I have to admit this may not be as critical with a subwoofer application and many here just want it loud, but a few of us actually enjoy to the intricacies of a particularly good recording played at moderate levels.

Go ahead dude. Drop thsose extra 12's in. If all you want is more volume it'll probably suit your needs just fine.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 894
[edit] "....tweeter locations to can attest" and "......actually enjoy to the intricacies....." should read "....tweeter locations can attest." and "actually enjoy the intricacies" instead.

Sry, too many "to"'s.

:P

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 896
[edit] "....tweeter locations to can attest" and "......actually enjoy to the intricacies....." should read "....tweeter locations can attest" and "actually enjoy the intricacies" instead.

Sry, too many "to"'s.

:P

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 897
grrrrr, sry for double post. This message board is gettin laggy as hell.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us