Isaac or anyone in the know?amp adjustments

Bronze Member
Username: Hmpadilla

Post Number: 11
I'm trying to adjust and fine tune my amp that was just installed.The manual says to put all settings to their lowest points.Then turn the volume up to about 80%.Start adjusting bass first until you get distortion then back it up.My problem is that even with all the levels set to 0,I can't turn the volume up more than one or two bars.It's WAY too loud and distorted.Any ideas? stock head unit in Chevy Avalanche 5ch Hifonics amp,stock door speakers front/rear.Kenwood 10"subs.Thanks for the help

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2256
Henry, who installed the amp? Did you do it yourself or have a professional do it?
In order to adjust the amp, you will need to know the HU's preout voltage. Most are 4v.
Also check your amp's gain/level settings. 8v max is average on power amps. If those conditions meet your equipment, then set the gain/level half way for 4v setting.
This will help cut down distortion/clipping.
Forget about putting the volume to 80% or higher cause almost ALL average HUs will distort around there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
hey Isaac I had a shop here in town install it,but the amp was DOA.I got a replacement amp from the guy I bought it from,and made all the connections to the amp myself.The level on my amps goes from .2-6.How do I dind the HU output voltage,it is a stock unit running through a line outpt converter? Also since I'm on a tight budget,what do you rec. replacing next,the stock HU or the stock door speakers? Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2259
If your stock HU doesn't come with rca output, then replace that first.
Sounds like you're using a speaker to rca converter. In that case, set the gain/level on the amp close to minimum (on the 6v side).
That is about all you can do. You won't get high quality sound, especially bass.
For that, rca cable will be required.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Iamduff_87

Michigan America!

Post Number: 334
also on the amp that says .2 - 6 volts. the 6 volts is the LOWEST setting and the .2 volts is the HIGHEST setting. set it to 6 volts...then turn your HU up, then start adjusting your gain.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us