Please help with getting a complete setup . . . many questions . . .

Silver Member
Username: Bdonkersgoed

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 149
Hello Everyone,

My sub/amp has been jacked twice in 10 weeks, so I am not going with a sub in the trunk. Everything is going to have to be in my doors because the thieves haven't seemed to pull the door skins off yet. There is room for 6.5" components in the front and rear of my '99 VW Passat.

Here is my proposed system:

- Alpine CDA-9835 CD/MP3 HU (already own it)
- Focal Utopia 165W2 6.5" Component set for the front (picking it up today)
- Older Kicker F6.5c 6.5" free-air subs for the rear (for some bass)
- Amp(s) UNDECIDED

I have no clue what the specs are on the Kickers because they are older. I just want a bit of a sub effect without having any gear in the trunk to be easily stolen. I am mostly concerned with SQL, and I don't care about having a rear stage. It is all about the front stage.

Some questions:

1.) What do you guys think of this setup? Any comments/suggestions?

2.) Is two 2-channel amps better for this setup than one 4-channel amp? This way I could use the HU's sub preout and the amp's low-pass filter, right? Not too sure about this . . .

3.) If I go with two amps, how should I wire the two kickers in the rear? Parallel to see a 2-ohm load? Another way? The Focal's would be just one speaker per channel?

4.) Is $150CAN ($120US) a fair price to pay for a pair of the used Kicker F6.5c's?

5.) What kind of RMS output should I be putting to the Kickers? I would like to use their full potential.

6.) I don't need to build any kind of enclosure for the Kickers in the rear door, do I?

7.) Do you guys have any amplifier suggestions? I am OK with using Ebay and online sources . . .

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!
Bryan

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 150
Would a bridged Zapco AG360 be sufficient to power my Focals? I can get one for about $225CAN locally ($180US). Not sure if that is a good deal or not . . .

Does anyone knwo the specs of the AG360?

Thanks!
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 870
I posted in your other thread regarding those Kickers.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/130736.html

-Fishy

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 153
Thanks Fishy :-)

Do you know where I can get 6W0's at a good price? I might consider going with Focal 5" subs if I can get them cheap enough. A really rspect local SQL guy (who judges at SQL competitions here in Canada) said that although they are not free-air subs, he put them in his rear doors and sealed them in tight with sound deadener. I might give that a try too. He said it sounds great and has never given him any problems . . .

Thanks!
Bryan

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 878
I got my 6w0's 25% off thru an e-mail special from Sound Advice(Tweeter) for $137 a pair w/ tax, but they don't sell JL stuff online and the offer expired Mar 31 anyways. They're not a very common sub and I've only seen a few on e-bay and none online new for less than the typical dealer price of ~ 90 bucks US.

Your best bet would be to find a local dealer and have them order you a pair. JL specifically recommends not using them in a free air app, so I don't know how they'd sound in the doors. They'd probably still outperform those Kickers, but thats a lot of cash to drop on a guess.

How much room do you have in your rear deck? Thats an awesome place for small subs. You can get a good SPL increase off the rear window. A high school buddy of mine had a pair of ancient Fosgate DVC 12's running free air in the rear deck of an '80 Firebird and those things slammed off a Punch 150. I remember a couple Joe Walsh tracks(Confessor album) shaking the hell outa the front seats.

If you're worried about theft just mount a pair of boxes to the deck with a gazillion torx screws. Unless these thieves are professionals they ain't gettin em. Heck, if you've got the room you might even go a couple 8's. I bet there's some 8's out there that work good infinite baffle and you could avoid messing with enclosures.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 156
Thanks for your input Fishy, but I really really don't want any kind of sub in vision from the outside. When people see a sub in the car, they know there is a stereo in there. All of my gear must be concealed. I am just going for good SQL now . . . don't need big bass. I kind of like having the extra trunk space again anyways . . .

So, no subs I am afraid, unless they will fit in my rear doors :-( I know it sucks, but that's life. I don't want to make a third comprehensive insurance claim if I can help it.

Can you look at my summary post:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/130889.html

It pretty much details my current situation, and I woudl like some opinions on a PG amp I can get. I am also thinking about just making life easy and sticking some Kappa Perfect 6.1s in the rear (even though I know that it can detract from SQL in the front). For the little bit of benefit a 6.5" sub might add to the SQL in the front, I might be better off making life more enjoyable for people in the rear.

Thanks!
Bryan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us