X.X.X 2.1cf Ported 28hz - ok if smaller?

Silver Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 151
If RE recomends 2.1cf ported to 28hz and lets say i can only get 1.5-1.8cf with sub/port displacement and i still tune to 28hz how is this going to effect performance/sq/spl?

Would it just be better to run it sealed vs my above option of the smaller slot ported box than recomended?

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 152
I could technically get the 2.1cf, but since i have a smaller trunk the extra cf would come from building higher and i really dont want to do that just for a subwoofer (taking up my whole trunk) but i wouldnt mind having it ported.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 154
I just spoke with RE and there tech support wasnt setup yet because of the move, but the guy was just voicing his unprofessional thoughts and said the sq would stay the same just the spl would be lower.

Does that sound right to anyone? Remember this was not tech support so if you disagree id be more than happy to listen

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 330
I would assume the relationship in size would be the same as a sealed enclosure. The larger the enclosure, the less power needed to get the speaker to reach full excursion. Thus, the smaller you make it, the more you'll need to make it max out its excursion. So assuming you want it smaller, just have some extra power for it.
Also, from the little I know about ported enclosures, your tuning is related to the size of the box and the size of the port, so if you're going with a 1.5cf box, you will need a different port size to tune your enclosure to 28hz then a 2.1cf enclosure.
I'm sure some other guys will want to comment on that.

Silver Member

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 155
I am not worried about getting it tuned back to the 28hz thats not a problem. Also the power i have plenty either way.

It more the performance sound quality/spl issue.

Is a ported box that delicate where the box size has to be exact for it to sound right. I know the actual port does becuase that affects the tune.. but if i am off a bit on size will that affect anything as long as i tune it right?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2140
TraGedy, if you don't have the space for the required volume, I'd go with sealed box.
Ported boxes will give you increased system efficiency, reduced driver excursion and extended low frequency response of a given speaker, but it comes at a cost. Because they use a high Q acoustic resonator, they have much worst transient response than the sealed box. The ported box at high volume induce wind noise.
I guess if you listen to music with smooth sine wave/curves, then ported is best. However, since most songs rarely contain those, sealed box is the best choice for accurate reproduction of fast drums, bass slaps etc.
If a ported box receives a signal lower than the cut off frequency, then the driver excursion is no longer constrained by the action of the port. In a sealed box, you do not have this problem.
Do you see how important it is to meet exact box size requirement in a ported box design?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us