Music...

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 339
just curious...something not discussed often...obviously we all love music if we spend this much on our system (or you just like to impress people, in which case that's not cool, j/k, to each their own, most of us do to some extent)...anyways, what's your favorite genre? favorite song? why do you spend 1000's of $'s for an audio system?

for me, i like many genres, just depends on the mood. music is my escape. my most enjoyable part of my day is my drive to and from work, or just taking a random drive. i turn up my stereo and everything goes away for a while, except the music. it's almost like therapy(never been b/c i've always had music :-)) if i had to pick a couple genres or artists, i guess i would say hip-hop and alternative rock. big fan of heiroglyphics, del, zion i, canibus, wu and other lyrically talented hip-hop artists/groups; and i also love the raw, straight up, southern rap like swisha house, lil flip, mike jones, SOME new orleans rap (went to college in the N.O.). to the same degree, i love pink floyd and their beautifully complex composition of music that is totally original. the doors to nirvana, it's all about appreciating original sh1t that evokes emotion, whatever that emotion is at the moment.

anyways, i could go on for a while. i was just thinking that sometimes i get caught up so much in the technical aspect of just having a good sounding system, that i forget why i actually have it...music.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3528
"anyways, i could go on for a while. i was just thinking that sometimes i get caught up so much in the technical aspect of just having a good sounding system, that i forget why i actually have it...music"
That's actually what I look for when choosing components. Which set makes me forget that I'm listening to speakers makes me just relax and enjoy the music. I listen to tons of stuff, if I'm after a SQ test I prefer female vocals and few instruments, like Tori Amos for example. Female vocals and piano are some of the hardest things for a speaker to produce accurately. I listen to Alternative and Rock a lot, just a ton of stuff really.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 341
right on. when your speakers can make you forget you're listening to speakers...that's it. i bet your dyn' 240's will do just that.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 342
my bad, 360's thought you had the 240's.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3529
Got the System 360 right now in my truck, 240 Esotar set is still questionable, I'm still torn between the Dynaudio Esotars and Rainbow Platinums. I do love Dynaudios for their ability to "disappear". I've got plenty of time to decide though. Meant to tell you, I like that 4 Runner install. Something about those front door speaker panels just integrates perfectly with the interior.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 343
thanks man. that means a lot coming from you. i'll finish the back soon, that should be real sweet. just been working too much lately; i get to work on it on sunday and that's about it. in the next month i hope to be done. do you think i can achieve some decent imaging with that component install? when i upgrade, i'll need to make some spacers (only have 2.25" of depth right now) and i was thinking of making something that'll angle the mids upward some. the soundstage doesnt sound too low now how it is, but it seems like it could be better, maybe another set of tweets in the a-pillars. thanks again jon.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 344
chili peppers, rachmaninov, postal service, tool, acid bath, radiohead, portishead, faith no more, five for fighting...

Bronze Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 26
Bob Seger to Ghetto Boys to Opeth. I love it all, and thats what this is really all about, great music. Party on party people.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3533
You can get good imaging from the install you have. That's the thing about audio, it's more about experimentation than absolute fact :-). Just have to play around with it, a little change in a driver angle can make all the difference in the world. Generally low door installs offer good results in vehicles like 4 runners, you're sitting up high enough to get the pathlengths closer together, like you said, it will depend a lot on angling of the drivers and driver level. As far as the tweets in the A-pillar, look into CDTs upstage and image enhancement kits, not bad on the wallet at all and they work very well. The upstage kit adds it's own crossover and requires no additional amplifier channels, and they'll just add a touch of air up top to raise the soundstage, they won't be overbearingly loud and detract from tonality. They allow you to keep the primary tweets down low for the best blending of drivers, vocals and upper midrange/low treble will blend well. If you do want primary tweets in the pillars, you'll have to make sure you have the drivers to do it with, in most cases crossing over around 6khz is best since it is past the crucial portion of the vocal region, if you cross much lower than that, then the vocals will seem to emanate from both top and bottom, resulting in a "layered" sound. With it crossed at 6khz you will get better vocal accuracy and tonality since you won't have big phase differences in the vocal region (female vocals are a good reference to test with). The issue is that it's hard to find a midrange that will go up to 6khz accurately without rolling off or resonating. In your case with the mids in the doors, a midrange usually rolls off around 2khz in off axis installs, especially the mid closest to you since it's more off axis. In a bad case, it means the right side mid will sound louder than the left side at those upper midrange frequencies since that driver is more on-axis. That may help with your current install too, try angling the left mid and tweet a tad to balance out the differences in level and frequency response. To do primary tweets in pillars, you need a more on-axis install of the mids to make it work to it's optimum, such as kick panels or angled door, and the mids will need to be able to play to around 6khz accurately, the MB Quart Qs, Adire Audio Koda midbass, CDT midbasses, and a few others are good for that. If you look at Dynaudio, Focal, MB Quart, Rainbow, and other speakers, you'll see that the tweeters are crossed over in the 2khz region because 2khz is where midbasses tend to rolloff (give or take) in an off axis install, and crossing over at 2khz allows the tweeter (which has better imaging due to the dome shape and also the dispersion of the smaller driver) to give better imaging characteristics. 2khz and above is where sound begins getting more and more directional. They work very well in stock locations because of this and it is why they are praised for their imaging so much, because they can accomodate many install types. It also allows a midbass that is more powerful in low end since it doesn't have to perform up to a higher frequency range. One more thing, the crossover slope makes a big difference in the off axis performance of drivers. Generally speaking, higher order crossovers (12db/oct, 18db/oct, 24db/oct) tend to offer better off axis imaging than shallow slopes, I believe your Infinity set is 6db/oct, so you may see some benefit by eventually adding an active or adjustable passive crossover and playing around with the crossover slope and frequency. Enough of me babbling :-). With your current components, the CDT upstage kit is a great addition. If you want primary tweets up top, you'll likely want a set of components geared more to that type of install.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us