Battery and Alt.

Bronze Member
Username: Kaine1021

Post Number: 48
Can some one explain what the battery and Alt is used for a system.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1124
The alternator charges you're whole electrical system...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
Well can u explain for me exactly what it does. Cuz im only 15 and i got a big sytem goin in and i want ti to sond good without blowin ne thing.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 541
battery powers your system when the car isn't runing.

Alternator powers your system, charges the battery, and poweres everything else when the car is running.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1134
Think of the alt as a plug in you're wall. Say you have a radio with batterries, and you are listening to it out side. that would be like you listening to you're system with the car turned off.

When you go inside, you would plug you're radio in to the wall for a constant supply of power. The plug is like the alternator.

It sounded good in my head.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1291
taylor...i really like that analogy...mind if i steal it?

Bronze Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 66
basicly...thed alternator is a genorator...when the motor spins, it spins a belt wich spins a magnet inside the alternator wich is surroundewd by wire and sum how that make an electricle current wich goes 2 the battery lkol

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
ight i got it. So the alt runs the battery and the battery runs the system.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1387
exactly

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 717
No.

The battery only runs the system when the engine's off or after your alternator takes a dump or just can't keep up with current demands and system voltage drops below that of the battery.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1412
are you saying we are wrong?

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 329
well sub, none of your posts were inaccurate, but a couple others were. taylor's analogy is great, and fishy is right on. when the engine is running, the alternator runs all of the electrical equipment and charges the battery. the battery is only used to start the engine and to run the electrical equipment when the engine is not on. however, when the alternator cant handle the load, the battery kicks in to take up the slack. that's why it is important to have an alternator that can handle the amount of current your car and system needs. if your electical needs are more than the alternator can handle, not only will the alt be working at 100%+, your battery will have to kick in to help it. obviously when it does it is not getting recharged, which is why the battery may be dead the next morning. in addition, if you have your alternator working at 100%+ all the time, it will eventually die, just like anything pushed to full capacity for a long period of time will. i relate it to my golden retriever. she has such strong instincts (like a machine) that she will fetch until she drops dead of a heart attack or drowns, so i have to pace her. your alternator will work until it dies or you can give it a rest - turn your system down and run it (the alt) at 80% or get an alt that will handle your system at full blast while running at 80% and it will last much longer. that's my way of thinking of it. hope it helps.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1464
lol, i was being sarcastic lol, but right now im currently just running like 600 watts rms from an amp until i get like 3000 lol nad im waiting on a cap to come to my house, so i was wondering, what would a batcat or whatever it is called do
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us