Bridging 2 amps to 1 sub?

Keith Klagge
Unregistered guest
I'm wondering if this is possible if I use "Y" cables and make 1 amp left & 1 amp right and then bridge the amps and run the speaker wires to the sub box?

I have (2) 2x50 amps and a 10" sub (single voice coil) that can handle 400RMS.

I have no more money for another amp & definately no money for a new sub if I assume something and screw it up.

Any help on this would be appreciated (figuring "glasswolf" could answer this one quite easily)

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
thats not a good idea and what your proposing is paralleling 2 amps as opposed to changing your ohm load, in short youd do more damage than gain any benefit.
if you were to bridge each amp for 100 to 150 watts bridged (im assuming they are bridgeable amps into a single channel) to change what you hear now (50 watts) and to get a little louder you need 100 watts (watts x2) but to double what you hear at its loudest you need 500 watts (watts x10) if you can bridge one of your amps into a single channel at whatever its rating wil be advertised then theres no need to split the preamp signal and use to amps just use the one amp and if its a 50x2 most likely it can only take a 4 ohm load bridged anyways.
now depending on the amps you may be able to sell them both and buy a good used 100-150 watt amp and get more output safely that way.
you cant force an amp to bridge by simply wiring it into a single channel.
if you cant afford another amp or sub then another area to look into is your enclosure and you can make better use of whatever power you do have by the enclosure design and type.
if you have sealed they arent as efficient and part of your problem is right there and i would go to ported and if its ported now i would check to see if it is a properly designed ported box (if the box was premade i can promise it isnt right). there is a small db gain going to ported which could be well worth it if thats all you can change.
jay

Keith Klagge
Unregistered guest
I wasn't trying to bridge the amp by wiring it to a single channel...I was just thinking the since they're capable of bridging to 200X1 @ 4ohm I'd be putting 400 into the sub that way??

All of the amps I have are Audiobahn...I'm very happy with the way the sound so I think I figured out something else if the bridging 2 amps together didn't work.

The other (3rd) amp I have is a 2X100 and can be bridged to 1x400 @ 4ohms...this will be fine for the sub.....I will then take the (2) 2X50 amps and bridge then to 1x200 @ 4ohms and use the "Y" cables on those so that 1 amp will run my left front components & the other will run the right front components (keeping the gains turned quite a ways down so as not to blow the components.

Keeping in mind that I'm not trying to bridge the amps with the "Y" cable I'm just merely trying to run each side separately to utilize the amps I do have.

Does this idea sound any better?

jay amaro
Unregistered guest
mmm well lets see i would just use the 2 smaller amps you have unbridged and there wont be a need or too many front speakers which are generally small but higher frequenies dont need alot of wattage only subwoofers.
if you have good quality speakers inside the car for front and rear then 2x50 up front and 2x50 rear is more than enough and youll notice quite a difference from the 10-20 watts they would be getting from the head unit.
but the 1x400 for the sub sounds great, one thing to consider is higher the frequency the less power you need and even though an amp can be bridged or is 2 ohm stable doesnt necessarily mean its always the best thing depending your components and application but sounds like with the 3 amps and your splitters your covered but trust me 50 watts into each and any channel for the front/rear speakers is plenty enough unless they are stock speakers then id replace them or leave the deck as the only power source.
jay
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us