Underpowering

Bronze Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 12
Would underpowering a sub with 500rms watts by 100 be too much? Im either getting 2 Alpine Type-R 12" 2004(300rms) or the 2005(500rms) with an Audiobahn A8000T mono amp with 800rms x1 @ 2ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1250
so you decided on the type R lol...no it would be fine to underpower them...it wont hurt the subs...

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 14
yah, my cousin is getting them and my friend has them so It couldnt hurt for me to get a pair. But would the new ones be louder/better even though underpowered?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1252
no i think the new ones are a little more quite...but why are you deciding on those lol?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1254
dam i was really hoping you would do that trade thingy...the amp and the 2 subs for your amp and 250 bucsk.. lol i really wanted your amp

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 15
lol, how come? Your amp is better.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1256
yea, but your amp would power my sub more efficiently, mine does like 600 at 2 ohms and yours does 800, but if you got my subs then you could run it at 1 ohm for 1200 watts giving each sub 600 watts rms

Username: Bigdanman

The OC, CA USA

Post Number: 10
underpowering them can be just as hurtfull as overpowering them. When you underpower them, then the magnets are not being fully powered, and they strain for more power, and hurting them. I read it somewhere. Bcae1.com ithink.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1265
NO daniel..your a moron...on that site it says you cant hurt them...no way

Anonymous

yea daniel ur an idiot. That site has a whole section on how underpowering doesn't hurt subs. Learn how to read.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3515
If it hurt to underpower, then your sub would suffer at anything but full volume. That being said, underpowering won't hurt IF you avoid clipping, but when you clip, it will destroy your sub due to the DC voltage produced and also the added distortion. It doesn't matter if you underpowering or overpowering, clipping will destroy your sub. Usually, it is better to overpower to a certain degree because at the same volume level, that amp will clip less and the power supplies won't be as strained.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us