DB drag comp

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 106
hey, i've never entered a DB drag comp but theres one this weekend in augusta and i'd like to go but don't know what class i fall into and if anyone can enter.
i have a JL 13W7 with 2 JL 500/1's and a Batcap 300.
anyone know what this set up falls into?
any help would be great
thanks

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 174
you fall into the category "give your system to me" lol.. sorry i realy dont know anything about db drag comp classes...

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 107
haha, not so sure i like that category as much as you do
its a nice set up though, don't know how it would do in a comp but it'd be fun anyway.

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 465
brandon,

i'm 90% sure you would be in Street B.

http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/rules/2005/rules05.html

^^^2005 dB Drag rules^^^

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 178
altho brandon i have a Q for ya... one... have you had your system metered on a realistic mic? if so whatd ya hit? 2 what type of box are u using... if ported, tuned to what freq.? and lastly how do you like the SQ and SPL of your 13w7?

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 108
trevor:
never metered
its in a slot ported box, approx 30 hertz
i really like the sub, sq is good, i haven't found anything it can't reproduce, and spl is great for only 1 sub. buldges out my doors and trunk lid a lot, lol. i can nail it all day long with no problems, just as loud at the end of the day as the beginning, nothing even gets warm...ect...very reliable.
just gotta upgrade my mids and highs, it almost completely drowns them out, lol.

Marshall - thanks, just couldn't find anything on whether they consider a 13.5 inch woofer as a 12 or 15, but i guess the 2 amps puts me in B regardless huh.

but whats the deal with having the car off?? will an optima yellow top and a bat cap 300 have enough power to last 30 seconds??

Silver Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 181
my guess is yes for 30 seconds .. yellow tops are very good batteries

and the reason i asked is because a lot of ppl tell me they dont really like the sound of a 13w7... and ive never heard them and i just dont want to believe it! lol i want one.. or 2 lol but i am saving up money right now

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 109
i hope so, cuz that'd kinda suck to do my 30 sec run and my car not crank to get it out of the lane, lol.

idk, i like it, guess the only thing you can do is listen to one and compare it to something the people who don't like the W7 do like.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 468
you dont have to hold the tone for the full 30sec. you just need to hold a tone for about 3sec at a time. the termlab likes you to hold it that long.

find the freqency that your car is loudest at and pause your HU on a track w/ that frequency. have you volume tuned up pretty high (not to a point at which you amp clips really bad though). when time starts, hit unpause and burp for bout 3-4sec. Wait a few seconds and burp again. you may wanna try frequencies that are near the freq. that your car likes.

ex:
my truck likes 50hz...i burp at 50hz first, then 49hz, then 51hz.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 110
i emailed the guy whos in charge of the event and he said the batcap may not let me be in Streed B but said the MiniStreet class would be more suitable since theres no limit on battery or caps.

yeah, i got a Bass Mekanik cd thats got sine waves from 20 to 99 (5 sec each) i'm gonna run through, pick the loudesd one imo and rip that one and like the frequency above and below to a cd twice (that'll be 30 sec). hows that sound Marshall??

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 470
I have forgot about the 1 batt rule in street B. oh well...

The loudest tone to the ear may not actually be the loudest on the mic. If you can, go to a shop w/ an TL and get metered. First play a sweep...like 30-100hz, then find out what freq you peaked at. Then burp at or around that freq.

Bronze Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 39
Very good advice Marshall.:-)
It sounds like you've been around the competition scene long enough to hear about this, instead of burping at peak volume, you should roll up your volume. Heres why, as you know the TL has a 1 to 1.5 second delay before it reads, so start your burp lower then roll up the volume to the peak, this will save voltage and keep the coils cool, I know, only for a split second, but it can gain you a tenth. I never did it until after finals, now I test or burp that way all the time. It helps to have a HU with a rotary volume knob.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 111
yeah, so idk if i should take the bat cap out and replace it with a 1F regular cap i have laying around to enter Street B or if i should enter the Mini Street. suggestion??

Zac - thanks for the advice, i do have a rotary volume knob, but i can't be inside the vehicle to turn it cuz if a 140 db rule...or do you not think i'll hit 140?? i remember hearing on here a lil while back someone else with a 13W7 and a 1000/1 hit 150 something.

anyway, i'm off to get a yellow top, my stocker is prob gonna fry soon, lol.

thanks a lot, i'll def post my results when i get back sunday night.

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1067
Brandon, where did you get the bass cd, and what is the name of it? Thank's, I've been looking for a test tone cd... good luck.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 113
Taylor, its a bass makanik cd, just picked it up at either best buy or circuit city, they both carry them.
oh, and it actually came with a DVD with test tones for a home system too, lol
http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Music/Album.aspx?p_id=P+++169342&a_id=R+++6 12672&prodid=PAN9001.2

i ran through some tones and i can't really tell the difference in loudness/feel between 38 and like 50 hertz, lol. all loud as hell, buldges doors ad trunk, hard to breathe, kinda hurts and neighbor 8 houses down complained, lol. i'll mess with it some more later today.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1069
Thank's.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 116
well, i hit 141 with the 1 13W7 and 2 500/1's, putting me 2nd in my class, lost by 3db lol. not bad for my first comp i say, but whats some oppinions on the number?? 138 was the lowest i scored.
this was on a term lab meter too, i heard diff meters will say diff numbers.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1276
dude awesome job...very impressive

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 117
thanks, i was told i could change the box around and hook 2 1000/1's to it and get in ths 150's easy. wish i had the money for that, lol

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 106
well who beat u and what did they have?

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 118
can't remember his set up, there were so many cars up there i was watching, but he was in an extended cab truck (lil toyota, like a tacoma) and i think he had 2 kicker 12L7's in a ported box in the back seat area. it was either that or the other truck that was in my class that i never got to see his set up, he could barely fit in the lane his truck was so high, lol.

but one thing from the event i thought was funny, this guy had 4 MTX 9500 15's in a wall in the back of a S-10 and he only hit 136db, lol.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1126
Lol haha
That isn't bad for just 1 sub...

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 119
yeah, and only 1000 watts too. everyone else had a couple thousand watts running and i don't think there was but one or 2 other people running a single sub (there were 8 people in my category) i feel the urge to get a second 13W7, get 4 1000/1's and rip out my back seat now, haha

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1306
wow..that wouldnt be just...godly or anything

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 120
it'd be a godly amount of money, lol, if i started to do these comps a lot, i'd prob go with something else.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 1311
im trying to hit 150 with my single sub lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us