Why does my sub make clicking noises when its loud?

Username: Road_shaker

Post Number: 1
my 10'ken wood sub makes a clicking noise when its my deck is at 21..so i went to the place i bought it from..he said im maxing it out..for a 1000w it doent seem loud..i have a sealed box 14'x13'...could i make it louder by changing the size or porting it??

Anonymous

you can make it louder if you get a ported box, but that wont solve your problem.

your amp is what is making the sub do the clicking....
i'm guessing what your really hearing is "clipping"

What amp do you have and whats it rated???(RMS)....and the sub is prolly not a 1000W.....that most likly max rating....what is its RMS rating???

If your driving it with too small of an amp your prolly "clipping" the amp.

Anonymous

one other thing...if your amps too big for the sub, it may produce overexcursion....and the sub will move beyond the Xmax it is desined to move.

....could very well burn the sub up in either case

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 169
first mistake was buying a kenwood subwoofer...icky
second mistake is not knowing alot about this stuff before getting into it
third mistake is not asking for glasswolf's help
fourth mistake is not checking up on your post to see if anyone has helped you

anyways, sealed boxes tend to be quiter if i may, than ported boxes but will give you greater SQ with most subs, also your gains could be set all all the way up and that could be driving the amp to try to push out more power than it can and cause "clipping" as anonymous described above...

Username: Road_shaker

Post Number: 2
well lastnight i tried to put a post but the site didnt let me..anyway my friends said that i should port it.but would i have to change my box size?

Anonymous

well the only thing that i can say is that either the speaker got tweaked some were and the coil is taping on the magnet (that has happend to me many times when i would ram the speaker into a hole that was to small.) or the amp that you have doesnt have a cross over so you might be getting to high of frequencies running to the sub, or if you have a crumy amp that is digital then just get a diferent amp

Bronze Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 21
could you tell me exactly what you have for the system?
head unit
speakers
amps
make and models

I can suggest a few things knowing that
yes box size has to be larger for a ported box and the ports have to be tuned for the sub.

Username: Randy420

Post Number: 8
last night i ported my box and sounds way better..
-all kenwood-

head unit-KDC-222S
subwoofer-KFC-XW1005dB
amp-KAC-8101D-----yes its a digital

and its in a ford ranger.

but im thinking of buy'n my friends mtx 800

Gold Member

Post Number: 1370
ok I'm not a kenwood fan at all.
that MTX amp will be a better amplifier. You may want to look at a better sub, and a box that's actually built to proper specs. you'd be amazed at the difference with the proper box.

www.bcae1.com has all the data you need to make a proper box regarding volume and port tuning.

Post Number: 9
glasswolf i didnt mean a MTX amp.i want to buy his sub thunder 8000..well my sub sounds way better..the guy that set my sub didnt adjust my setting..

and why are the digital amps any good?..the only thing i know is that they dont make as much as heat as a fan..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1389
ah. the 8000 line isn't bad, but if it's new, there are better subs for the money.
class-D is more efficient. they only lose about 20% to heat instead of ~50% for class AB, or 75% to class A. They are smaller, and produce a lot of power.
They work well for subs.

Post Number: 10
yeah his sub is a year old..he has 4 and only played them for the bass comp.and my amp is a class-D...

so is it a deal for a thinder 8000 for $160

Unregistered guest
Avcourse that your problem is dut to your amp !!!
dont do a think you can demage you speaker+amp
just turn on your system in low volume !
got it !

Gold Member

Post Number: 1400
now, master_bater could you try that in English please?
That made no sense at all.

Randy, for $160 you can get much better subs.. eD12K, Adire Shiva, Alpine Type R, any of those.
$160 is steep for that sub. Particularly for a used one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
yeah i'll keep that in mind when ever i goto thunder bay an buy anther one
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us