Alpine decision

Username: Dkchillin

Post Number: 1
I'm a strait up newbe trying to put together a system. I'm set on Alpine equipment but I'm hung up on subs and amps (like everyone else). Here's my situation, I'm looking at a single sub (for $$$ reasons) but I don't know if I should go type r 10 or 12 and then what amp to go with (again preferably Alpine). I don't need to shake the earth but I want to feel the bass (hip-hop ready but with a focus on clarity) As a side note, what's the difference between 10" 2ohm and 10" 4ohm?

I've read a lot of the other posts here and I know this has all most likely been answered but I wanted to try and get it all in one place.

Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 250
I would go with the 12. Much better low end with the clarity of the 10. There is no difference between the 2 and 4 ohm version. That is only the drivers electrical impendence. This is only need when hooking up to an amp.

Username: Djshyper

Dalmeny, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 1
i would go with the 12" but 10's do have more of a kick and 12's have the low end and there isnt much difference in 2 ohms and 4 ohms just the sensitivity is different but for an amp i dont really like alpine amps cuz they dont have as much quality or power as they are stated on the other hand an MTX 250 watt amp have the quality of an alpine 500 watt amp but if u want to stick with alpine in all means go for it the still have good quality:-)

Anonymous

andy i think you got that backwards. it seems to me that mtx doesn't have as much quality as Alpine does. Alpine states the exact power that you're going to recieve not higher or lower. MTX on the other hand isn't too bad either but I would rate lower than Alpine.

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 256
I agree, i have an alpine amp and it seems to be slightly underrated to me. runs cool and definitely puts out the said power.

Post Number: 2
What sort of power output should I be looking at to push the type r 10 or 12 (depending on what I go with)? Model reccomendations would be great here. I'm staying away from MTX only because I have a good friend who's had bad luck with his MTX equipment, thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 260
An amp that puts out around 400 watts rms would be perfect. something like a kx400.1 would work(if you got the dual 4 ohm version)

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 71
www.alpine-usa.com

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 261
An amp that puts out around 400 watts rms would be perfect. something like a kx400.1 would work(if you got the dual 4 ohm version of the sub)

Post Number: 3
The type r 12" is the way i'm leaning at this point but the only concern I have is if there is going to be a noticable difference in sq from the 10". I am planning on listening to both before I buy but if anyone has experiance I'd be interested to know ahead of time.

Still looking for some input on an amp (power and how many channels). This is going to go in a yet to be purchased new car and the first step is replacing the speakers so, with that in mind, am i better off getting a 4 channel amp so I can power the fronts as well as the sub? Like I said before, i'm not that interested in spl and I'm prolly going to go with Coaxials in the front (again to save a little $$$) so is just powering the sub with a mono or two channel amp the way to go?

Again, keep in mind I'm a complete rookie so if most of this seems rudamentary that's because I'm clueless on this stuff.

Thanks for your input.

Silver Member
Username: Rob315

Cuse, NY U.S.

Post Number: 326
after you listen to them i have 3 12" type r's for sale ..$250...also have amps to if your interested

Vermont

Post Number: 4
Rob, do you have pics you can send me?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3505
I'd personally take MTX amps over Alpine amps, MTX makes great budget amps. In other respects like subs/speakers/etc. I'd take Alpine.

Vermont

Post Number: 5
I've heard decent things about MTX amps from all but that one friend who had problems, any thoughts on a particular model amp to run the sub or the sub and the fronts?

Bronze Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 85
Rob, you have 3 type r's for sale? Would you sell me two of them in a box?

Bronze Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 86
oh and i have a mtx thunder 801D amp. I like it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us